• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jena

Jena

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:22 PM

Has anyone ever heard of turtles being fed cat food? If so, dry or wet food? A friend has two water turtles, as do I, and he was told by a local turtle farm that he could do this.. I fed mine minnows, but the cat food idea is intriguing. Anyone have answers?

#2 Meli

Meli

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:33 PM

I've fed all of my turtles cat-food in both forms. I have two RESs and an Eastern Ornate box. The box I feed wet, the R's I have fed wet and also dry, they really enjoy the crunch! The wet food in the water will make a terrible mess, I highly recommend putting them in a separate tub before doing this.
Be sure that you don't feed them cat food all the time, this is a protein-rich treat and should not be used as an easy substitute for a varied and balanced diet!

Be sure to buy very good quality cat food, I have cats and I feed mine only the best.
My RES's, by the way, are 27 and 24 years old, so since I've been feeding them the occasional cat-food treat since they were babies, I'm pretty sure it's not doing them any harm.

:P

#3 Ziggy the iggy

Ziggy the iggy

Starting Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

Well wouldn't recommend cat food for RES. Way to much proteins and sliders older than year should have only 25-30% animal food and even that shouldn't be so high in proteins. I would stick to the pellets and occasionally fish, worms from time to time; that's the only animal food they should get ... The cat food is bad even for baby turts witch need high protein meal. Can give them seriously kidney problems...

#4 sevenoaks

sevenoaks

• Members Plus
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:16 AM

Well wouldn't recommend cat food for RES. Way to much proteins and sliders older than year should have only 25-30% animal food and even that shouldn't be so high in proteins. I would stick to the pellets and occasionally fish, worms from time to time; that's the only animal food they should get ... The cat food is bad even for baby turts witch need high protein meal. Can give them seriously kidney problems...

i agree.

#5 Callie

Callie

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:North American Box Turtles, wildlife rehabilitation and conservation

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:59 AM

I've fed all of my turtles cat-food in both forms. ... The box I feed wet,

I truly do not recommend feeding your box turtle cat food in any form, especially wet. It is much too high in fat and protein, and is nutritionally not good for them. I have seen many box turtles raised on wet cat food... and these are the box turtles who have shell and beak overgrowth/deformities, not to mention other health problems. Although you did mention you used this as a treat and not the sole diet, which is fortunate.

However, there are plenty of other alternatives specifically made for turtles, and box turtles, if you are looking for a tasty treat and/or protien supplement your turtle will find appealing. Mazuri turtle (not tortoise) is a good one, as is Nasco turtle brittle (what I use). Both of these come in dry form, which you then soak with just enough water to make it soft. My boxies love, love, love their Nasco day (I mix it in with their veggies once a week). Zoo med also makes a dry box turtle pellet, which I haven't heard much feedback on, but surely is better than cat food. They also make a can box turtle food which I use occasionally as a treat (once a month or so), or to tempt picky eaters with by mixing it in with other food. Their can food smells very fruity, and I have never found even the most picky boxie that could resist!

The key with box turtles is variety, and any kind of commercial food should only be one element in a varied menu. But please, don't let cat food have any part of it. Cats are carnivores, and have very different nutritional needs than turtles. :)

As for red ears, I have less experience with, but there are plenty of commercial water turtle diets out there as well, such as reptimin, which is fairly cost effective and easily found in any pet store. Good luck!

Edited by Callie, 19 February 2009 - 09:02 AM.

#6 armourkris

armourkris

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:14 AM

I don't know about turtles and cat food, but i know my cats all come running as soon as i grab the turtle food. weird cats, they turn their noses up at salmon but love the turtle food.

#7 TurtleLoveR_S&B

TurtleLoveR_S&B

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:53 PM

I agree with Ziggy the Iggy and sevenoaks.I think it's way too much protein.I wouldn't recommend it.

#8 TurtleLoveR_S&B

TurtleLoveR_S&B

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

And with too much protein and not enough calcium that ends up in pyramiding.

#9 yan

yan

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:34 AM

Can turtle eat salt? I don't know about the dry ones but the wet ones are quite saltish.

Yes, I've tried them. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users