outdoor enclosure...update

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TerryO

TerryO

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 677 posts
  • Interests:Ponds, water turtles, Cherry head tortoise, gardening, boxies, chihuahua's and yorkies
  • Last Blog Entry:

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

Here 's Pio and Izzy's updated enclosure. I still have to put a new fence and make the hide a little bigger, and the plants have to get established all over again. We had to take them out to make the stream.
I haven't put my Three toed out yet (Izzy)....raining today, but Pio (Cherry Head) went out for a few hours yesterday.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Northern Terrapins

Northern Terrapins

DBT Breeder

• Members Plus
  • 760 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:16 PM

Looks very natural......
Great job Terry! ;)

#3 frankiesue71

frankiesue71

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:24 PM

Wow, that's beautiful! I want to live in there, and I'm not a turtle!

#4 Dee Loves Boxies

Dee Loves Boxies

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:05 PM

Very Nice!

#5 mike&pat

mike&pat

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:After discovering the world of shelled reptiles that goes on generally unnoticed right under our feet . I realised I had been missing out on something very rewarding and intriguing.

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

A turtle with a home like that has GOTTA be happy !!! Very cool . I really like the stream :)

#6 TerryO

TerryO

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 677 posts
  • Interests:Ponds, water turtles, Cherry head tortoise, gardening, boxies, chihuahua's and yorkies
  • Last Blog Entry:

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:17 PM

Thank you everyone.... It was a lot of work...but well worth it when I see Pio sitting in the little stream enjoying life. When the winter comes she will be so sad to come inside again.

#7 Millerlite

Millerlite

Addicted Member

• Members Plus
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:41 PM

Again nice setup. lol... I never get tired looking at the stream. I am now off to the drawling board to see how i can update mine, lol...

#8 Marissa. :)

Marissa. :)

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Reading, hanging out with friends, watching horror movies, and being with animals! :)

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

Wow! That has got to be the prettiest & best enclosure I've ever seen! :D

I know your turtle would love to thank you for all the hard work & time you've
put into this. Ohhh, if turtles could talk! ;)

#9 Brian H

Brian H

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 656 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:15 AM

thats definately one of the best outdoor setups i have seen in a long time!! it looks so natural, a cave type home right next to the stream :)

but i have a question, how does your pump work?? is the outlet near their cave and the inlet near the base?

Edited by Brian H, 28 July 2009 - 08:16 AM.

#10 yesterdaymom

yesterdaymom

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:06 AM

That looks fantastic! I want to do that, any instructions available?

#11 TerryO

TerryO

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 677 posts
  • Last Blog Entry:

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:42 AM

thats definately one of the best outdoor setups i have seen in a long time!! it looks so natural, a cave type home right next to the stream :)

but i have a question, how does your pump work?? is the outlet near their cave and the inlet near the base?

Thank you. My son did it for me. In the little pond section where the stream empties into, there is a hole with a slate cover on it, and in there is a pump. The hose, which is attached to the pump, comes out of the hole and goes around the outside of the enclosure and is hidden under a rock on top of the waterfall, where the water comes out of. There is a double valve that I can open on the hose near the pump, to empty the water and clean it, and then shut it off to let the water out again. After he poured the cement, he made an impression with a little pail, so when it dried he could put the pump in there. He used black cement. I hope I explained that OK. Can you see the square piece of slate in the little pond? Under there is the pump. He put a liner first, and then cement, and then some river rocks. The little pond was too deep for my Cherry Head, but not for the boxie, who can swim, so I put some river rocks in the deep end.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Brian H

Brian H

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 656 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:05 PM

mmm thats really something, i was thinking he buried the entire piping underneath the stream, but it was much more simple and effective than i had thought :)

your boxie definately looks like hes enjoying you and your son's labor!! once again, this design is flawless

#13 Samsonite

Samsonite

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:36 PM

WOW!! ive been away for a week and just found this thread here.
Terry, i LOVE your boxies new stream and little waterfall! Its very natural and pretty, and big! Very very nice. And thats a cool idea to set the pump tubing up so you can drain the whole thing... lol, i have to bucket out dirty water in Stumpy's miniature pond. If your son is bored next summer, maybe he can come set up a neat pump/drainage system for me ;)

#14 The Darkness

The Darkness

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:36 PM

That is amazing

#15 humpy101

humpy101

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:55 PM

wow.Very fresh and sunny!

#16 Iluvemturts

Iluvemturts

Has the fever for more ink

• Members Plus
  • 1,221 posts
  • Interests:turts and torts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

Stunning!!!! Absolutely Amazing B)

#17 madrussian

madrussian

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:04 PM

That is beautiful, any start to finish photos?

#18 TerryO

TerryO

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 677 posts
  • Last Blog Entry:

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

No start to finish photo's I'm afraid. But...I have a large area on the side of my house that we are making for all my boxies. I'm putting in a stream with a little bigger pond at the end of it. My Cherry Head will stay in this old one for next summer, and all the boxies will go in the new one. I am making a section for them to hibernate also. I will deffinately take some picturew while my son is working. I am seperating the boxies now from my tortoise as he is getting too big to be with them any more.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 AmyW

AmyW

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:43 PM

Terry, looks like I missed this originally. I love your enclosures. They're so beautiful and natural! I am sooooo envious. :) Pio and Izzy look great. :)

#20 JennyStarzzzz

JennyStarzzzz

New User

• Members Standard
  • 3 posts
  • Last Blog Entry:

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:49 AM

I built a similar set up for my Jacksons Chameleons when I lived in California. Ever since I was a kid I wanted to build such a set up for anoles, I just never lived in a cliamte that would make it worth while long enough

This is great DIY outdoor enclosure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users