• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Samsonite

Samsonite

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:24 PM

Hey TerryO, I just read you will be hibernating the boxies.. Not sure if you mean this winter or next, but how are you preparing their area? Your tag says you are in NY. Im in MI, so similiar cold. Im curious how many feet down you must make a hole for it to not freeze over solid in january. I imagine 4+ feet deep, or is it actually less?

#22 TerryO

TerryO

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 677 posts
  • Interests:Ponds, water turtles, Cherry head tortoise, gardening, boxies, chihuahua's and yorkies
  • Last Blog Entry:

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

Hey Sam..
I am not hibernating this year as mine littly guys are only 1 yr. and 3 yrs. Maybe next year for the three year old. I re-did my yard a few years ago and it wasn't finished on time to let my older ones hibernate, and one got sick from keeping her inside when she was used to hibernating, so I had to give them to my friend who has a large outdoor enclosure so they could hibernate. When my yard was finished I didn't have the heart to take them back, and her enclosure was so beautiful, and they were thriving and didn't want to stress them any more...especially my older one that was over thirty years old. I see them all the time though.
My new enclosure will be 22 feet by 5 feet. On one end there is some big bushes...I will losen up the soil under them to about 3 feet and mix that soil with peat moss. Then on top of that I will add at least another foot of dried leaves. This is what we always did for my old boxie at my parents house...He was well over sixty years old, and last summer was the first time we didn't see him and again this summer. So we'd thinking he just didn't make it and died of old age. Good luck with the hibernating....

#23 humpy101

humpy101

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:07 PM

You really have a nice set up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users