• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oohrah

oohrah

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:51 AM

Wondering if there is a way to determine the sex of hatchling EBT's. Herad it takes about three years to tell. Also heard sex determination is made by temperature and how much the hatchling eats. When do the eye's start to turn color. I have a captive bred EBT - it is about 8 months old now and the kiddies are dying to name it. Eye's are still brown and plastron is still flat. Thanks for any insight.

#2 SnowCone

SnowCone

Boxie Pro

• Members Plus
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

You might as well name it something gender-friendly now lol. From hatchling-hood, it takes about 4~6+ years for box turtles to be the right age/size to tell gender by sight.

I never heard about the "how much the hatchling eats" theory, but the temperature one is correct, most breeders set it between so they get both male and female though.

I'm not sure how to answer the "when do the eye's start to change color" one. I know my 4 year old's eyes has changed slightly but I still can't confirm if it's a he or she.

Hope I helped =)

#3 Dee Loves Boxies

Dee Loves Boxies

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 413 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:35 PM

You can name it Charlie or Sammy. These are unisex names.

#4 oohrah

oohrah

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:08 PM

Wondering if there is a way to determine the sex of hatchling EBT's. Herad it takes about three years to tell. Also heard sex determination is made by temperature and how much the hatchling eats. When do the eye's start to turn color. I have a captive bred EBT - it is about 8 months old now and the kiddies are dying to name it. Eye's are still brown and plastron is still flat. Thanks for any insight.

Thanks for the help!!!!

#5 Sammy101

Sammy101

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, I wasn't sure of Sammy's sex so I named him Sammy! If he turned out to be a girl it would be Sam and if it turned out to be a boy (which it did) then it would remain Sammy!

#6 Allie

Allie

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:06 AM

I have five two year old EBT's. Two of them have bright red eyes - E.T. (for exceptional turtle) and Emmett. The others it's anybody's guess male/female - Tim, Blackie (solid black shell) and Chance. Several years ago I rescued an EBT that had been hit by a truck. Brightest red eyes and named him Aladar. SHE laid eggs the following year!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users