Soaking Pond Instructions with Photos

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Turtlehen

Turtlehen

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Oh time changes everything. I've moved to the country and looking forward to creating an outside habitat for my 4 adult aquatic turtles and 2 year old snapper..<br /><br />The snapper is my passion..he's gentle and beautiful.

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:07 PM

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME...thank you very much. I live in Western New York so I'll wait til spring to try set this up for my new box turtles. I did have some predator worries this summer as I'm in the country and not far from the woods. I lost two aquatic turtles..I'm hoping they just escaped..although then I have to worry about them finding their way to water so it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Amazing creatures..

#22 Smile4Katie

Smile4Katie

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:23 AM

Thanks!
An update on the pond:
I decide to add a filter and all I did was fill that hole around the pump with Lava rocks, topped it off with Filter material and covered it with the pond rocks and the slate piece. It is working wonderfully!! The water is nice and clear and the PH tests and all are good. So now I don't have to drain it until wintertime :)

I have some small feeder goldfish in there to eat the mosquito larva and there are a bunch of water snails that hitched a ride on the plants. He loves to hunt them!! I had a bunch of Duckweed and he ate all of that so we are getting more :) Someone told me they might give it to me at the Garden center because it is considered a pond weed, not sure about that yet but boy would that be nice!

So all is well with the home made EBT pond, I can't wait to see it shape up next year!!

Katie, Tuck & Goldie :)

#23 ChrisKrista

ChrisKrista

New User

• Members Standard
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

turtlehen,

I live in southern new jersey. how do you prepare your pen for hibernating. I have never keep a BT outiside before, in the cold. how do i make sure he has the proper setup for hibernation? Please help!

#24 reptilegrrl

reptilegrrl

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:48 PM

That is really lovely! What a great idea for your turtle. The only suggestions I would make are that you a) remove the rocks- they actually trap debris and make keeping any pond clean very difficult and b)be sure to test the water often. Goldfish aren't a great food source, either, so I'd keep those to a minimum too.

I am definitely inspired by this soaking pond and wondering how to keep something similar clean for my ornate box. Very well done!

#25 Smile4Katie

Smile4Katie

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:01 AM

That is really lovely! What a great idea for your turtle. The only suggestions I would make are that you a) remove the rocks- they actually trap debris and make keeping any pond clean very difficult and b)be sure to test the water often. Goldfish aren't a great food source, either, so I'd keep those to a minimum too.

I am definitely inspired by this soaking pond and wondering how to keep something similar clean for my ornate box. Very well done!

Thanks :) I hear you but the pond is fairly shallow and very easy to clean. I feel that the benefits to having the rocks outweigh the little bit of extra cleaning, they assist with keeping his nails and beak trimmed and also to make sure he can get out of the deeper area.
So far the tests are perfect and he doesn't go after the fish as much as he does the snails! I will be adding a much larger one just like this in the open yard next year, as it seems that I have at least one wild babe so maybe more will visit!

#26 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,287 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:46 AM

turtlehen,

I live in southern new jersey. how do you prepare your pen for hibernating. I have never keep a BT outiside before, in the cold. how do i make sure he has the proper setup for hibernation? Please help!

Hi ChrisKrista...you need to put this posting in the Box Turtle forum. There is a ton of stuff being added in that forum on BT hibernation in this area and I just sent a PM to someone from this area as to what I do - I live in DE so am just across the DE River from NJ and share the same climate aspects, unless you are in NW NJ where it is higher and colder. If you'd like a copy of the wording of that PM as to hibernating in this region, I would be more than happy to send you the wording...just let me know. There are also marvelous care sheets and other info sheets on this forum.

Edited by BoxTurtleLover, 04 October 2009 - 08:49 AM.

#27 Smile4Katie

Smile4Katie

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

Just putting this back up for Spring!!!
I'll be adding a larger one this season and will post on that too.

#28 allison finch

allison finch

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Police Sgt/firearms instructor. I travel to scuba dive and do underwater photography. Studied herpetology in college and do turtle rehabbing.

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:17 PM

Hey girl!!

Has Goldie met her soon to be hubby yet? Inquiring minds want to know....

#29 Smile4Katie

Smile4Katie

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:27 AM

Not yet but here she is swimming in their pond!!

Posted Image

#30 Smile4Katie

Smile4Katie

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:46 AM

Putting this back up for the season :)

#31 Willowtree

Willowtree

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:writing, reading, animals, photography, astronomy, birdwatching, learning, bibliophilia, movies, television, French, Latin, Classical Greek

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

Not yet but here she is swimming in their pond!!

Posted Image

Katie, this photograph is so BEAUTIFUL. Y'know, it really could be on the cover of a calendar. And you really can see in this photograph how EBTs' patterning really do camouflage them. The pond looks as if it's doing terrific. Cheers, Kerry

Edited by Willowtree, 20 July 2010 - 05:14 PM.

#32 Smile4Katie

Smile4Katie

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:11 AM

I had a couple of emails regarding the Pond so again I'll put it back up for the Season. I guess with Spring coming everyone is getting their plans ready!!
Mine has done great, must be cleaned out before thee kids come up but no big deal :) The darn feeder goldfish are still ALIVE! They have gone through two winters in 6 inches of water!! Any questions please just ask I'll try my best to pop in.

Katie & Clan

#33 BrittanyLynn

BrittanyLynn

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 606 posts
  • Interests:Love my 3 RES!

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:59 AM

Wow! Thanks for the info! Looks amazing! :) Good job! :D

#34 Smile4Katie

Smile4Katie

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:46 AM

Hey I got pinned hee hee

Thanks Brittany

The Pond is still working FABULOUS!
My only issue is that I didn't make the hole any bigger to accommodate a larger pump. So instead of adding a second pond with a stream attaching it to this one I have to just rebuild I think.

So think ahead on that but honestly I never thought I'd be expanding the enclosure :)~

#35 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,287 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

To anyone on here reading this topic, I have seen this pond in person and it is absolutely great, easy to do and Katie gives first class instructions on here - many thanks to her for posting this information as it is great for box turtles - hers absolutely love it!

#36 TurtleKeeper am I

TurtleKeeper am I

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:My turtles, reading, gardening, scrapbooking
  • Last Blog Entry:

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:19 PM

That looks fabulous! Nicely done!!

Ok so I have had quite a few people ask how I did this so here you go :)
This is Super easy and has little digging.

Materials:

*Stiff garden edging mine was 4" x 20'=$9.00 I actually cut off about 3 feet to fit the space better.
*Stakes or in my case whatever I could recycle :) = free
*Sand, I used 1 1/2 bags = $5.00
*Pond liner =Free because my husband had roofing liner for work, but I have seen it for $11.00-$22.00 at pondliner.com you only need a small piece
*submersible pump, mine is 140 GPH = on sale for $32.00 but again at the same place online you can get one for $14.00-$25.00
*Tubing for the pump = $8.00
*Stones = $37.00 at a local rock supply, I got it by the bag, but this could also be gathered for free
*plants
You can add a filter if you want, I just added a valve so I could drain the pond into my garden beds. (I am adding a home made filter! Will update with that, Tuck likes to hunt fish so now I need one)
*Really cute workers are always good too :)

Lay out your edging and put into the shape you want by using the stakes, don't worry so much if it lifts the next steps will prevent that

Posted Image

Dig a hole for your pump, loosen the soil and use it to grade your edges in a slope, it is important that it all slopes to the hole.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cover all the dirt with a nice layer of sand, this is to protect your liner

Posted Image

Lay your liner over the space evenly and push into hole, this will create a crease on each side but don't worry.

Posted Image

Start filling and smoothing your liner at the same time be careful not to push down on the slope you have created with the dirt.

Posted Image

Put pump in hole, cover with a flat stone, tuck the hose and cord under the crease in the liner, have cute kid put rocks in :)
I used the lager rocks to hold the hose in place.
(This is how I will do my filter: Because this is very shallow I will fill, in the hole, to the top of the pump with Lava Rocks, then stuff a bio degradable filter in and then cover with my pond stones. For as much as I have read on homemade filters this should do the job nicely for such a small amount of water.)

Posted Image

OK so you need some helpers for this part :) I bought my rocks and they are filthy!! They need to be washed before putting them in
and this was the most time consuming part of the whole thing.

Posted Image

Trim your liner so that it covers the outside edge of the edging.

Posted Image

Finish off your rocks and add a waterfall if you like, just make sure that once you do you silicone your stones together so no one gets hurt.

Posted Image

Backfill the dirt around the outside edge and landscape.

Posted Image

I opted to use sod around mine for a couple of reasons first to eliminate the dirt going into the pond and also because it is great for worms!!
After a rain or a good watering you can lift it and find tons!

Posted Image

Here is a Link to Tuck enjoying his pond! He seriously LOVES it! He goes for a swim every morning and is catching the feeder goldfish I put in for the Mosquito larve! I am also pretty sure he ate all of the Fairy Moss that I added :)

That's it!! I hope you are inspired! Please let me know if you build one as I would like to see :)
Katie & Tuck

#37 allison finch

allison finch

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Police Sgt/firearms instructor. I travel to scuba dive and do underwater photography. Studied herpetology in college and do turtle rehabbing.

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:03 PM

I'm waiting to see Tracy in the pond....with Goldie...Tuck....and the sleezy Virginia!!! :P

#38 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:08 PM

I'm waiting to see Tracy in the pond....with Goldie...Tuck....and the sleezy Virginia!!! :P

What a combination! Tracy will be delivered there on Sunday but Virgina is taking a break after laying five eggs on June 1st...my first nest of the season...so we'll get the pond shot later!!! :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Virginias eggs 6 1 11.jpg
  • Virginia 6 1 11 photo 1.jpg

#39 Smile4Katie

Smile4Katie

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:53 AM

haha Alison she is way to tiny to go in there :)

#40 Cheloniphile

Cheloniphile

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:05 AM

This was a nice setup. I'm putting in a couple of 7 to 9 foot ponds this coming spring and was curious if you addressed the predator possibilities situation that others on the thread expressed. I'm near to a heavily wooded, EPA protected wetland and have concerns about skunks and racoons and maybe neighborhood pet cats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users