• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Milner

Milner

New User

• Members Standard
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

Hi, so I have built this pond, and it is very shallow, no more than 5 or 6 inches at the very deepest spot. I would love to be able to put some small fish and plants in it, but everywhere I have gone has told me that this is way too shallow. However the original poster of this seems to have made it work. What do I need to do to the water, or the pond before I can but fish in it? And wouldn't it be beneficial to keeping the balance of the pond better to have fish and plants, it is most important the water is good for my ornate box turtle. If any one has any input, I would love to hear it, Thanks!

#42 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,345 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:07 AM

I have seen this pond and know the owner. It is just a soaking pond, not a pond meant to keep fish. She added some small feeder fish at one time for the turtles to see if the turtles would have any interest and the fish just thrived and lived in the shallow water. It's purpose is not for fish but to be shallow/deep enough for boxies just to drink and soak. Anything deeper could result in boxie deaths if they should flip in deeper water as they could drown if not found in time.

#43 Milner

Milner

New User

• Members Standard
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

Ok, thank you so much for your response. I have a filter made the same way that she described hers, the pump surrounded by lava rocks in a deeper hole, then a filter on top, then a flat rock, will this be enough to keep the water safe for my turtle? Do I need to test the water regularly, and if so what am I looking for. It is a great set-up perfect size and depth for box turtles. I really appreciate her instructions, and inspiration.

#44 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,345 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

She has average adult size box turtles in her enclosure with that pond and she has not had any issues. I believe all she does is to change the filter when needed and keep debris (i.e., leaves, etc.) out of it as much as possible. I am sure you can add water as necessary if it becomes too shallow. It is a marvelous pond for box turtles and easily done/set up.

#45 Milner

Milner

New User

• Members Standard
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

Great, Thank you so much for responding, and as soon as I finish the surround landscape, I will post some pictures. It is an awesome set-up, was easy and affordable and Rex seems to really enjoy it :D

#46 shawana

shawana

New User

• Members Standard
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

Ok so i built one of these neat ponds, my only problem is I couldnt put the garden edging in the ground. Im afraid my turtle cannot climb out to the grass. What would be something to use or to make a ramp out of?

#47 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

If you have the slope as gradual so the turtle doesn;t have to "climb" out of it (i.e., like someone would have to hoist themselves out of a swimming pool), with some small rocks or pebbles big enough not to be ingested, that should work fine.

#48 shawana

shawana

New User

• Members Standard
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

Ok sounds good. What about getting back in? Im afraid the pebbles would slide on the ground.

And do I need to purify the water?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users