Cache Valley Bee Removal

Photo
- - - - -

How fast do they grow? Which can be kept together?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lost

Lost

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:29 AM

-I was curious how fast turtles grow? How many inches will they grow in 1 year?
-Do different species of turtles usually get along? like could I keep a RES, yellow bellied slider, musk, and painted together?
-What do you use to make platforms for basking areas?
-Can you keep goldfish with some turtles (without the turtles eating the goldfish)? I know you can with musks but I'm not sure about others.
-What watt lighting do turtles need?

#2 Xavier

Xavier

Photo Man

• Moderator Team
  • 1,116 posts
  • Interests:Photography,Hiking,Herping, Chelonians, Reptiles in general, Reading, and more.

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:00 PM

-Do different species of turtles usually get along? like could I keep a RES, yellow bellied slider, musk, and painted together?
-Can you keep goldfish with some turtles (without the turtles eating the goldfish)? I know you can with musks but I'm not sure about others.

- Depends on the species, how they are kept & fed. Some species like common snappers might get 7'' by 12 months of age. The common sliders, maps, painteds, & cooters can all be 3-5'' or more by 1 year of age.

- Many of the US species has the same care requirements. When deciding what to try and house together you need to keep in mine individuals range in the wild (you don't want to keep a RES with a turtle from Asia) and if their needs are the same.

- They are many types of basking area sold at store you can also try drift wood, rocks, & DIY platforms.

- Most fish kept with turtles will fall prey to them regardless of species. If some live past the first few days they sometimes are left alone and can then live with the turtles. Yet they always have a chance of getting eatten. Musk like any other species can get and will eat fish. Some might not but its not to be expect.

- It depend on the of individual requirements many species should have a basking area from about 88-92. You can get any bulb from 74-250 watts and then place it are a certain distance to get the desired temp. I like to use 50-100 watt halogen lights.

Xavier

#3 animal kingdom2

animal kingdom2

• Members Plus
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

I rehomed 3 RES and one yellow belly to a friend, who has a huuuuuuuuuge pond with koi. They have been happy together for a couple of years now. The koi are 12"--18", and the turtles were all about 8"--10" long when I gave them to her. Personality, size, food availability etc. all play roles, and yes, each situation is unique.

#4 Lost

Lost

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

Are Southern Painted turtles common (sold as pets I mean)?

#5 Xavier

Xavier

Photo Man

• Moderator Team
  • 1,116 posts
  • Interests:Photography,Hiking,Herping, Chelonians, Reptiles in general, Reading, and more.

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

Are Southern Painted turtles common (sold as pets I mean)?

Yes

Xavier

#6 purexotic

purexotic

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:05 AM

I think it depends on the species.. Also i think the portion and how often they eat will exert an influence on the growth.. [:think]

I kept a lot of Serpentina(s) and one of them (Lenny) are grown to 8.4" or 21cm in 8months, while the others still measuring about 6" or 15cm.. Maybe because she is eating Alligator Gars, Gold fish and Tilapia in a massive number per-day.. Actually there is a large number of fishes in my pond and my Mother used to love fishes and she'll happily bought hundreds of fishes in about every 3days.. [doh]

But in this condition, Lenny is can't move a lot and she seems to have a hard time to lift her oversized body and walks around.. [doh]
I would love to share Lenny's pictures if you like to see her measurements.. :wub:
Hope this helps.. [:cheers]

#7 Xavier

Xavier

Photo Man

• Moderator Team
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:59 AM

I think it depends on the species.. Also i think the portion and how often they eat will exert an influence on the growth.. [:think]

I kept a lot of Serpentina(s) and one of them (Lenny) are grown to 8.4" or 21cm in 8months, while the others still measuring about 6" or 15cm.. Maybe because she is eating Alligator Gars, Gold fish and Tilapia in a massive number per-day.. Actually there is a large number of fishes in my pond and my Mother used to love fishes and she'll happily bought hundreds of fishes in about every 3days.. [doh]

But in this condition, Lenny is can't move a lot and she seems to have a hard time to lift her oversized body and walks around.. [doh]
I would love to share Lenny's pictures if you like to see her measurements.. :wub:
Hope this helps.. [:cheers]

That is some really impressive growth. Probably the fastest I've ever heard of. Would you mind providing more info and pix? I document my snappers growth in addition to my own I coordinate with a member of TT and also document his females growth and weight. My male which will be 7 years old on Monday is measured and weight 4 times a year (every quarter). I document the others annually for comparison. I'd be interested to know what size enclosure yours is kept in, what the water temperature is maintained on, the filtration system, is it housed with others, lastly how much food and how often is it offered as well as what type. Keep in mine that too much food intake puts a burden on their organs and can possibly shorten their lifespan. If she is over 12 months old now and you have her stats at 12 months please provide that info.

Xavier

#8 Ecologist

Ecologist

• Members Plus
  • 1,538 posts
  • Interests:my pets, mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, camping, canoeing

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

It varies. Largely depending on diet, health of the turtle, and housing conditions.

Don't count on it. If you keep them indoors in a tank, no. If you have a big pond or a huge stock tank, you MIGHT be able to make it work without issues with aggression. Each turtle needs its own space, and the ability to get away from the others if it wants. RESes are KNOWN for aggression and being very persistent with attempts to mate.

All kinds of things. I use driftwood for my southern painted. Get creative.

Not likely. Any fish you put in the tank should be considered biding its time until it gets eaten. My painted will go many months without bothering fish...and then one day I'll be missing half of them.

Wattage is not relevant except in consideration with distance from the source to the basking site. If you have a very large enclosure where the basking site is far from the light source, then you need higher wattage. If you have a smaller, typical aquarium, you need lower wattage. To find out how far the light should be from the basking site, you will have to measure the temp of the basking site. If it's much higher than 90F, the light needs to be farther away. Much lower than 90F and it needs to be closer. Be sure it's not too close that a splash into the water would make the bulb explode. Some lights like mercury vapor bulbs have a minimum distance from the basking site due to UVB transmission levels. These levels may be too high if the bulb is too close. Beyond the minimum, the UVB levels would be safer. UVB is absolutely necessary for the turtles to synthesize Vit D and assimilate calcium. It does not have to come from a bulb (if the turtles are outside, for example), but this is a non-negotiable requirement. Glass and plastic block UVB, so simply setting the tank by a window or putting the UVB source behind a glass or plexi cover would not be adequate. A screen could be okay, but the screen will block some of the light, and you will have to adjust your distance accordingly or cut a hole in the screen. The tighter the mesh on the screen, the more of an issue this could be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users