Cache Valley Bee Removal

Photo
- - - - -

My turtle shell is damaged! What can I do?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 valutechpc

valutechpc

New User

• Members Standard
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:04 AM

Hi this is my first post to the forum. I have a yellow bellied slider that I have had for 21 years now. I got him out of lake greenwood in SC when she was the size of a half dollar. Now she is 10 inches long (shell only). I keep her outside in a kids swimming pool when it is warm outside and move her inside when it starts to get cold out side. She still eats very well but I am concerned about her shell which she has never had this problem before. Pay no attention to the light white specs. They come right off with a toothbrush. It is the off-white or yellowish part in the center of the top that I am worried about. What can I do for her as I don't really have the money to go to the vet?

100_1779.JPG

#2 Jessbreath

Jessbreath

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:25 PM

I'm no expert, but it could be shell rot or some fungus, you'll have to treat it immediately. I'm not quite sure how, but I'm sure there is a lot of extensive information about it on the internet or just on this forum. Sorry I couldn't be more help, hope all goes well for you and your turt!

#3 egyptiandan

egyptiandan

On Tortoise Overload

• Members Plus
  • 2,406 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises and Turtles

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

Your turtle a while back got fungal shell rot. What your seeing now is dead bone after the scute has come off. It's hard to tell but it doesn't look active to me, but best to get it looked at by a good reptile vet.

Danny

#4 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,380 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:26 AM

You mention you keep the turt in the swimming pool...is your water chlorinated that goes into the swimming pool? Are chemicals added to the water? To me it not only looks like fungus, it could be caused by chemicals or chlorine in the water. Damage has already been done but I would review your practices where you keep the turtle and limit exposure to any chlorine or chemicals that may be in the water.

#5 valutechpc

valutechpc

New User

• Members Standard
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

You mention you keep the turt in the swimming pool...is your water chlorinated that goes into the swimming pool? Are chemicals added to the water? To me it not only looks like fungus, it could be caused by chemicals or chlorine in the water. Damage has already been done but I would review your practices where you keep the turtle and limit exposure to any chlorine or chemicals that may be in the water.

No there are no chemicals in the water!! I just use the pool because it is the right size. She has been in the pool for 12 years now. Will this heal, the damage that is done? New scutes grow?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users