DIY canister filters

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sailor_venus_turtle_luver

sailor_venus_turtle_luver

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:i love animals,mostly turtle and tortoise and geckos.<br />i love disneyland. i kinda like to draw stuff.

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

Is it easy to make DIY filters? this my first time to do this,I tried researching but I just left myself not what Im quite looking for but I have visions in my head that will help me to keep myself away from being confuse. Since my dad has lots of 10 gallon buckets (I think their 10 gallons but I'm not sure) not being use, I plan on using one of the bucket and I though since I cant find any ways to convince my parent to get those expensive filter recommended by professionals, so I though why not use this alternative plan that will probably be cheaper but my main problem ishow to suck in the water to the filter and how to suck out the water out of the filter and do I have to use lava rocks or any gravel in level one and put foam spongy material above level one and so on? I also plan on doing this project again with my "multi-level reptile enclosure" project , to cut down budget (like those cages in petsmart but quite bigger and has an L-shape and my aquatic turtle enclosure will have a appropriate setting accommodations to meet their habitat needs)

#2 JsX

JsX

JsX

• Members Plus
  • 953 posts
  • Interests:filtration theory

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

You may want to take a look at sumps. Sumps are much easier for a lot of reasons.

#3 JsX

JsX

JsX

• Members Plus
  • 953 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:14 PM

Oh, you may be interested in this: Quiet One Pond Pump 4000 - 1017 gph (gallon per hour) *best price that I could find: http://www.amazon.co...ref=oss_product

1000gph @ 50 watts for $80... that is outstanding. If you look up canister filters, this is about the same gph per watt for the big eheims and fluval FX5. These are inexpensive to both buy upfront and operate down the road.

I just ordered one for my 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank. I'm going to setup a 80-150 gallon sump pump for it this spring, and I'll have crystal clear clean water all the time.

What kind of setup (tank, tub, etc) are you planning on using?

#4 sailor_venus_turtle_luver

sailor_venus_turtle_luver

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:i love animals,mostly turtle and tortoise and geckos.<br />i love disneyland. i kinda like to draw stuff.

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:11 PM

I seem to understand how to pump water in the filter now
oh,I wanted the DIY filter for my 50 gallon setup and the next project for another DIY filter, filtering the future planning 150 gallon and 120 gallon setup
---------------edit-----------------------------------
wait never mind I found my own answer on everything I needed to know.

Edited by sailor_venus_turtle_luver, 13 March 2010 - 09:21 PM.

#5 JsX

JsX

JsX

• Members Plus
  • 953 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

so, what are you trying to build?

Are you trying to build a pressurized system or sump style?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users