7 replies to this topic

#1 bnr18241

bnr18241

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Turtles! and music

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:23 PM

Can anyone suggest a good a filter and pump that will work?
I have four turtles so there will probably be a lot of waste.
Here's the pond I'm getting: http://www.waresdire...trackURL=nextag

#2 EWC88

EWC88

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 727 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:39 PM

Is this going inside or outside the house?

I'm not positive if pond filters have the pump seperate from the filter, meaning the pump is in the tank to pump the water to the filter, if that is the case and the tank is going inside I would rather get 2 canister filters. If its going outside you will have the option if your going want the water to trickle back in the tank or not. Deciding that will then help what to do.

#3 AlexandAllieFL

AlexandAllieFL

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

Why not make your own biofilter?

It's easy and economical and you can get really creative with them. :)

Jenny

#4 amanda1558

amanda1558

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

When looking for a pump look for the one that you can afford that can pump the most water It should at least pump out 3X how ever many gallons your pond is. Also look for how energy effecient they are as most will add easily $50 or more to your electrical bill every month. You can make your own filter pretty easily and much more cheaper just do a youtube search and there are videos.

#5 dardar52487

dardar52487

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

When looking for a pump look for the one that you can afford that can pump the most water It should at least pump out 3X how ever many gallons your pond is. Also look for how energy effecient they are as most will add easily $50 or more to your electrical bill every month. You can make your own filter pretty easily and much more cheaper just do a youtube search and there are videos.

I agree a pump that pumps 2 to 3 times the whole water volume in an hour(so 600 to 900 gallons an hour) but a pump of that calaber will not cost $50+ a month to run. I run 5 filter and pumps all ranging from 250gph to 1000gph along with all my lights and heaters for 5 different ponds and stock tanks and my total eletric bill with my Air Condition on is only $235 a month plus running 4 computers and a bunch of other electronics. A pump that pumps around 900gph should be $10-$15 a month give or take a few bucks.

Check out the DIY filters online, one of the better ones I have seen is by Skippy. It was made in Michigan by a local pond store and they have had fantastic results and I have heard a lot of others that have had good results with them as well.

Mitch

#6 amanda1558

amanda1558

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:11 AM

There is a website you can go to that you put in the pump info and then your bill info with how much money you pay and mine is $50 a month if I run it 24-7..yes indeed.

#7 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,470 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

Welcome to TT, glad you came aboard.

With a 300 gallon tank consider a couple canister filters. I use three Xp3's on my 400 gallon stock tank with very good results. The XP3's are on sale at Big-Als. http://www.bigalsonl...3canisterfilter

With tanks that size you will find that the nitrifying bacteria will colonize on the walls of your tank, so bio-media is not necessary. In my filters I only use mechanical filtration with my 50# snapper.

#8 SliderAngels

SliderAngels

• Members Plus
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, Turtle Breeding, Meeting turtle owners, Atlanta Braves Baseball, Having fun, 'Recent' Old School Videogames (PS2), and most of all, God the father, the son, and the holy spirit

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

Wow a 300 Gallon Tank!! You probably could use the Filstar 2 or 3 XP3 like Claws said, or the 2 Fluval 305. If you really are a neat freak for cleanliness, an Fluval Fx5 could work too. That's filter I think is for a 400 Gallon tank--. It's pricey for the Fx5 but it's durable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users