Cache Valley Bee Removal

Photo
- - - - -

My turtle is swimming lop-sided and seems to have trouble swimming to the bottom of the tank.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tyler M.

Tyler M.

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Global Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • Interests:I grew interested in turtles when I was a kid living close to the everglades. I have kept turtles ever since.
    I work with computers, and enjoy the simplicity and purpose my turtles bring in a life that is all too much haste!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

Posted Image

Question of the Week - Help Us Help Others

Here is the question:

My turtle is swimming lop-sided (on one side) and seems to have trouble swimming to the bottom of the tank. What's wrong?

Here is what we are hoping for:

Posted Image The goal is to ask the question of the week (QOTW) and see what everyone can dig up to answer the question. Have some fun with it. Posted Image

Posted Image You can draw on personal experience, find topics already in the forums, link to topics on other forums, refer us to books, point to pages on other websites, include your own pictures, even link to YouTube or your own videos... let really have at this idea. Posted Image

The End Result:

Posted ImageDown the road, we hope to use all these questions and remarks to build articles or other resources to help new turtle owners with the help of our very own Turtle Times community... Posted Image

#2 Michael Bird

Michael Bird

• Members Standard
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:26 PM

Most likely one of two things:

1) Respiratory infection or lung injury/failure
or
2) The turtle really enjoyed the 2008 Summer Olympics and wants to be just like Michael Phelps (doing the side stroke).

#3 turtlefanatic

turtlefanatic

my turtles = my family

• Members Plus
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

The following is an excerpt from Austins Turtle Page, General Health Issues:

Swimming Crooked and/or Inability to Submerge

Another name for swimming crooked is listing. This is when one side of the turtle is lower than the other while swimming. This is because there is fluid in one of the lungs, more so in one than the other, or there is fluid in only one of the lungs. This is usually, although not always, accompanied by one or more of the other listed symptoms of pneumonia.

If the turtle can't seem to submerge (usually with the front end trying to swim down but the back end keeps floating) there could be two possibilities. The first is a respiratory infection. The second is a gastrointestinal problem. Problems with the GI system are typical after a regimen of antibiotics. The medicines kill off too much of the gut flora and the turtle begins having difficulty in digesting food. This could be a minimal as the turtle releasing the gas or as severe as needing veterinary treatment. If the situation continues, a vet should be consulted.

Treatment Information

Quarantine and raise all temps in the habitat by 5°. Consult a qualified vet as meds will be needed.

Edited by turtlefanatic, 11 May 2010 - 08:25 PM.

#4 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,367 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

Just to give an example as to the above great information, last night there was a show on about a wildlife rescue group in Australia. One of the rescues was a Green Sea Turtle who could only float and could not dive down. They stated the cause of the problem is usually parasites or the turtle ingesting plastic bags that it cannot digest, increasing the amount of intestinal gas resulting in it only being able to float. An xray revealed the turtle had ingested fishing lines causing all the gas. The turtle was being force fed and treated and would be released.

However, in captive turtles, as stated in the previous posting, a respiratory infection must always be ruled out.

#5 Amanda1

Amanda1

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 4,731 posts
  • Interests:turtles, tortoises, horses, conservation, music, art.

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:07 AM

Posted Image

Question of the Week - Help Us Help Others

Here is the question:

My turtle is swimming lop-sided (on one side) and seems to have trouble swimming to the bottom of the tank. What's wrong?

Here is what we are hoping for:

Posted Image The goal is to ask the question of the week (QOTW) and see what everyone can dig up to answer the question. Have some fun with it. Posted Image

Posted Image You can draw on personal experience, find topics already in the forums, link to topics on other forums, refer us to books, point to pages on other websites, include your own pictures, even link to YouTube or your own videos... let really have at this idea. Posted Image

The End Result:

Posted ImageDown the road, we hope to use all these questions and remarks to build articles or other resources to help new turtle owners with the help of our very own Turtle Times community... Posted Image

buoyancy issues with turtles can have many causes

1 respiratory issues/pneumonia can cause a turtle to have issues such as floating or tilting oddly to one side.
2 bacterial infections within the liver and intestines can cause severe swelling that can also causes buoyancy problems.
3 gas may also cause these issues.
4 air outside of the lung will also cause a turtle to float or swim with a tilt. This may be caused by trauma.
5 can also be causes by general weakness/emaciation.

#6 j.o

j.o

• Members Standard
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:18 PM

Respiratory infection

#7 noice87

noice87

• Members Standard
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

Is there a way to rule out Respiratory infection without going to a vet? I had one (Common Snapper)that's back end was up. The next week his back end wasn't up and then the next week it was dead. I went out Friday to my property where I discoved the dead turtle and cleaned everyones water and gave them food (Pond Pellet food from Walmart The previous week I feed them Wal-Mart Dog Food). I go out this afternoon to see how they are doing since I moved their tanks around in the shop. 2 of my small nip taled snappers back end were floating. I brought them back with me to keep an eye out on them. With as many turtles as I have I can't take them all to the vet everytime something comes up.

Thanks Steven

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users