• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hunterjackson

hunterjackson

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:10 PM

Been a long time since i have been here. been out of the hobby for a while!

i have had this DBT for about 4 years now. Great turtle!

his enclosure consists of a large turtle tub, basking area at 98 deg F under a MVB. His water is kept spotless at .0014 sg. He is CB and have had him since he was 2 mos old.

Recently i have been having some shell problems. by no means am i an expert on aquatics, tortoises are my thing.

I dont know if he has some shell rot, problem shedding his scutes, or what. His plastron and carapace both show signs of retaining scutes. His carapace also shows a bit of sign of shell rot. I have dry docked him today after upping the sg of his tank to .0018. That didnt seem to do anything. I can peel off some of the scutes, have cleaned out the white shell rot and scubbed with Betadine.

Obviously, the discolored areas are where I have peeled some shell, and the pit is where I cleaned out the shell rot.

What is the general consensus here on his shell?

Any help is appreciated!

Hunter

dbt shellrot 2.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• dbt shellrot.jpg

Edited by hunterjackson, 16 May 2010 - 06:10 PM.

#2 Beena & Charlie

Beena & Charlie

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Reading, Animals in general, including TURTLES, of course!

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

So far, I would say to just keep doing what you you are doing right now -- dry docking, Betadine, etc... How warm is the water? I've heard that it's a good idea to keep it at 80 some degrees to fight infection. I'm not saying your turtle has an infection, but you need to watch closely for it. One of my maps had shell rot once, and we didn't catch the septicemia (blood poisoning) until it got serious. In the bottom pic, I see a little pink on the shell down towards the tail that has me a little worried, so you might want to take him to a vet to make sure... but honestly, I'm not necessarily an expert either, so you may want to ask around some more.

You're doing fine so far, good luck :)

#3 Northern Terrapins

Northern Terrapins

DBT Breeder

• Members Plus
  • 760 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:37 PM

I've had DBT for several years now, and none have ever developed shell problems, although i am aware that keeping them in freshwater makes it easier for that to happen.
Was the enclosure always brackish?
sounds like your doing great with the treatment, but the question is...Why did it happen to begin with?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users