New Diamond Back terrapin!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DekuDeku

DekuDeku

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Generally musk turtles are one of my favorite aquatic turtles. One of the most overlooked turtles in the world. Nothing but extraordinary. Ranids, bufonids, bombina. Iguanids. Video games. Tv. Idk. Ask me?

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:51 PM

Well, today I just got my turtle. Its a diamondback terrapin(northern one). I got it from a breeder. Its very small! 1inch SCL!!! Thats one of the smallest hatchlings ived seen. I put it in a quarantine tank, to see how it does. It swims weird(kinda like a musk turtle does), but eats voraciously. I just fed it 2 reptomin pellets, half a krill and a shrimp pellet. It ate em all voraciously. Though I notice that it eats like a pig, it chomps into the food and leaves out scraps(like my RES used to do). So I am thinking I may get it to feed in a different container so the main enclosure doesnt get dirty. Id like to add fish when its older, but right now Iam wanting it to grow big and strong. For now is ONE 405 canister filter good for now? I mean I have another, but I dont wanna use it unless i have to. Though Iam thinking of upgrading soon to a 5FX, or something equavelent of that from the eheim collection. I read from some sources I should use a UVB steralizer to keep the water crystal clean. Iam going to set it up in a brackish water tank. I just want to do it slowly, so I dont give it some sort of system shock(do they get that?). It came from a freshwater cb one. It has a white skin(I can see that its going to have it. Because its white as it is, which is what I was looking for).
A few sites say a 55g is good for a male and for a female a 75g is good but bigger is better of course.

Does anyone know what are the specific care requirements? Also is rocksalt okay to use? In any case how much salt should there be? One site said to stay around 1.014 or 1.015(16). Soo what is the best gravity? I dont want to make it too saline, but I want to make it saline enough to prevent any fungal infections and any bacterial infections. I like being safe than sorry, also is it a good idea to add fish to this tank to make it natural looking? I was only thinking a small (6) school of silver dollar fish which are brackish fish. Currently Iam going for this light thats being sold at lowes thats suppose to be for plants, and animals. Is that good enough? It doesnt say how much uv rays it out puts. It just says the kelvin and some other stuff. Iam trying to find a good price bulb that works like a charm. Ived bought bulbs that cost like 60bucks and are supposed to put out alot of uvb and they didnt do shiz. Any good tubes/bulbs that are affordable and good at out putting high uvb?
Also would it be bad if I tried sticking to a diet of natural items, and pellets? I wanted to buy some smelt, crabs, clams and snails to feed to the turtle. What do you think?
What should the water temp be? And how big should the basking platform be?

#2 one8toh8

one8toh8

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

Well, today I just got my turtle. Its a diamondback terrapin(northern one). I got it from a breeder. Its very small! 1inch SCL!!! Thats one of the smallest hatchlings ived seen. I put it in a quarantine tank, to see how it does. It swims weird(kinda like a musk turtle does), but eats voraciously. I just fed it 2 reptomin pellets, half a krill and a shrimp pellet. It ate em all voraciously. Though I notice that it eats like a pig, it chomps into the food and leaves out scraps(like my RES used to do). So I am thinking I may get it to feed in a different container so the main enclosure doesnt get dirty. Id like to add fish when its older, but right now Iam wanting it to grow big and strong. For now is ONE 405 canister filter good for now? I mean I have another, but I dont wanna use it unless i have to. Though Iam thinking of upgrading soon to a 5FX, or something equavelent of that from the eheim collection. I read from some sources I should use a UVB steralizer to keep the water crystal clean. Iam going to set it up in a brackish water tank. I just want to do it slowly, so I dont give it some sort of system shock(do they get that?). It came from a freshwater cb one. It has a white skin(I can see that its going to have it. Because its white as it is, which is what I was looking for).
A few sites say a 55g is good for a male and for a female a 75g is good but bigger is better of course.

Does anyone know what are the specific care requirements? Also is rocksalt okay to use? In any case how much salt should there be? One site said to stay around 1.014 or 1.015(16). Soo what is the best gravity? I dont want to make it too saline, but I want to make it saline enough to prevent any fungal infections and any bacterial infections. I like being safe than sorry, also is it a good idea to add fish to this tank to make it natural looking? I was only thinking a small (6) school of silver dollar fish which are brackish fish. Currently Iam going for this light thats being sold at lowes thats suppose to be for plants, and animals. Is that good enough? It doesnt say how much uv rays it out puts. It just says the kelvin and some other stuff. Iam trying to find a good price bulb that works like a charm. Ived bought bulbs that cost like 60bucks and are supposed to put out alot of uvb and they didnt do shiz. Any good tubes/bulbs that are affordable and good at out putting high uvb?
Also would it be bad if I tried sticking to a diet of natural items, and pellets? I wanted to buy some smelt, crabs, clams and snails to feed to the turtle. What do you think?
What should the water temp be? And how big should the basking platform be?

As far as brackish water, the rule of thumb with dbt's is to put it in what ever it was b reed in,for example a wb dbt in salt should be raised in salt, a cb in fresh should be raised in fresh. It should be fine with fresh water, I would start with that and as long as the water is always clean you can leave him in the fresh. If he starts to have shell issues then you can start to add salt to it slowly. I'm no pro and am alsopretty new to this turtle thing but Ihave been doing a lot of research on dbt's due to just obtaining 3 hatclings myself. For the filter I use the fx5 on a 40 gallaon tank and it is awesome. I found it a lot cheaper on amazon. it was only $200, instead of $400.

I would like to see some of the vets jump in and see what they think about the water, I do know that this is a ongoing topic because some people are different, you could also ask the breeder what water should be good, IMO fresh is what should be used ecspecily if it was cb fresh water. Just my opinion.

#3 Cheloniphile

Cheloniphile

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:04 AM

Iím also new to DBTs but I apply the same principles of water quality and lighting that I have or more than 20 years with spotteds, blandings, and other species.
Jonathan Helms maintains a web site at www.DiamondbackTerrapin.com that has a lot of good info. He breeds 5 or 6 of the seven subspecies and I consider him very knowledgeable.

I have a good friend that has bred and raised DBTs for years in fresh water. He has minimal problems with hatchlings and yearlings in fresh water but for those older than a couple of years he recommends (and practices) removing them from fresh water to a weak saline solution, 1.007, for a couple of hours every 10 to 14 days to minimize fungus and shell rot situations. He swears by this and says he has not had any problems since beginning the practice several years ago.
He doubles up on the value of moving them to give them a good feeding of shrimp and clams in the salt water.

I will follow the same procedure using a 2.5 gallon tanks I keep for isolation and medicating. Just enough water to cover the carapace and allow the DBT to raise its head out of the water. Like my friend, I will use aquarium sea salts. These are available in 5 lb bags at most aquarium stores, and in bulk online. You donít need much to make a 1.007 solution so even 5 lbs will last forever. For myself, I would not use rock salt and definitely not any iodized table salt.

As to lighting, if the packaging does not indicate UVB, I would not rely on it. I use ExoTerra ReptiGlow 5.0, 26 watt compact fluorescents at a height of 8 inches above the basking platform. These are fluorescents so I use a second lamp for heat.

Some good, general reading on lighting can be found at http://www.myturtlec...om/lighting.php and http://www.tortoiset...s/lighting.html and of course on the Turtle Forum at http://www.turtlefor...owtopic=113523.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users