Cache Valley Bee Removal

Photo
- - - - -

Turtle squirting bubbles, is that normal?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Reby

Reby

New User

• Members Standard
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:49 AM

hi everyone,

I'm really new with turtles and I have an RES, (not yet a year old), who bites the flat wall of the acrylic tank and looks like it's spitting out bubbles. He does this for a few moments, stops, and then I hear him doing it again.

Is this normal? Is it an act of aggression? (My other turtle, also an RES, tries to do a dominance thing against his reflection, but this turtle is nose to nose with the glass).

I'm really hoping it's not a health issue.

Thank you!

Reby

#2 ..AndTheyCallitTurtleLove

..AndTheyCallitTurtleLove

New User

• Members Standard
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:01 AM

Shouldnt worry to much, my turtles used to do it all the time..
Can i ask , do you have any rocks, plants in your tank?
It could well be a sign of being a little bored.

hi everyone,

I'm really new with turtles and I have an RES, (not yet a year old), who bites the flat wall of the acrylic tank and looks like it's spitting out bubbles. He does this for a few moments, stops, and then I hear him doing it again.

Is this normal? Is it an act of aggression? (My other turtle, also an RES, tries to do a dominance thing against his reflection, but this turtle is nose to nose with the glass).

I'm really hoping it's not a health issue.

Thank you!

Reby

#3 turtleluvr99

turtleluvr99

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:PROUD OWNER OF:
    Michael- a Alligator Snapping Turtle
    Finn- a Reeve's Turtle
    Anna, Sleepy, Max, and Welma
    Spiky- A leaf turtle

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:01 AM

I heard a lot about Respiratory Infections. If your turtle is blowing bubbles outside of the water (with his nose), or has his mouth open outside of the water (for breathing reasons), you should visit a vet.

Edited by turtleluvr99, 05 March 2011 - 07:02 AM.

#4 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,380 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

The blowing bubbles thing you are describing is probably nothing - indicators of illness would be gasping, wheezing, discharge from mouth/nose, shut/swollen eyes, a bulge starting on either side of its head in the ear area, lethargy, swimming lopsided, etc. Review your care of your turtles as to temperature, lighting and diet. It sounds like they are doing OK for you and to prevent issues temps, lighting and diet are critical. Without the right combination and care, the turtle cannot stay healthy and could die. There are numerous care sheets in this forum and all over the internet, and several good books out there in your local bookstore or on the internet. There is a recently published book on RES that is available at PetSmart and on Amazon.com by Katrina Smith that I highly recommend and there are others available also.

If your turtle continues doing things that bother you that you believe are not normal or you see changes to how he is doing, by all means get him to a vet for a checkup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users