Snapper

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bleecker

bleecker

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Carpenter by trade, animals, music, bass player.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:34 AM

We live next to a river. We swim there often. When the river floods it has created a small pond/swamp. Frogs breed there. Tons of tadpoles. We saw Snapper tracks in the sand and was searching for it. We were about give up when we spotted him burrowed into the sand for ambush. You can make out his face, eyes squeezed closed. Enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0260.jpg

#2 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,470 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:09 PM

Nice find. You're talking about last year...right! It's been warn here and the 2' of snow has just about melted. Just the other week it was -8F. Can't wait for the ice to melt on the pond. The pond down the street is about 10' deep and the snappers navigate real well in the deep water. Thanks for posting, i'm getting excited now. :P

#3 bleecker

bleecker

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:42 AM

Nice find. You're talking about last year...right! It's been warn here and the 2' of snow has just about melted. Just the other week it was -8F. Can't wait for the ice to melt on the pond. The pond down the street is about 10' deep and the snappers navigate real well in the deep water. Thanks for posting, i'm getting excited now. :P

Thanks... Yes, it was last summer. I can't wait for spring either... Lake Champlain has a large Common Map population near-by. I think I have pics. I counted 25+ on a sunken dock last summer. The big females had to be all of 12" long. Turtle fever setting in!

#4 AmyW

AmyW

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:51 AM

Neat photo! It's always fun to catch things like that on 'film'. I always take my camera with me because I never know what I'll find! Thanks for sharing. :)

#5 bleecker

bleecker

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:01 PM

Thanks. It is fun. Here's another, eyes open maybe?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0261.jpg

#6 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,470 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:32 PM

I know they bury themselves in the bottom of ponds and lakes but I have never seen one that way. Their always setting in the weeds at the surface or swimming around. I'm going to see if I can find one burried that way this spring.

#7 bleecker

bleecker

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 339 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:03 AM

I know they bury themselves in the bottom of ponds and lakes but I have never seen one that way. Their always setting in the weeds at the surface or swimming around. I'm going to see if I can find one burried that way this spring.

He's back! We saw some tracks around the same place as last year and spotted this guy buried in the sand again. I have a few more pics, but this was the best one.
I wonder if it's the same Snapper...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1223.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users