• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SnowCone

SnowCone

Boxie Pro

• Members Plus
  • 747 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

So spring is here, the temperature is 75 out which means I should expect at least 1 turtle awake. I did find one up and basking (Vega, I posted a picture of him v ), but I also found a lot of weeds that I'm not sure about.

Posted Image
Posted Image

They look like Dandelions, they are very mixed in with them actually, and the 'blooms' remind me of what parsley does. What are they and should I get rid of them if they aren't any use to my turtles?
Posted Image

By the way, here's a pic of a very sleepy looking turtle =) I gave him some fresh water and a dandelion after this picture
Posted Image

#2 SnowCone

SnowCone

Boxie Pro

• Members Plus
  • 747 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

I guess no one knows? I've had this plant before but it's never been inside the habitat like THIS, It's completely infested the raised flower bed and I'm just curious if it could be dangerous to my Box Turtles?

#3 canvasseamonkey

canvasseamonkey

• Members Standard
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

I was trying to look it up but I can't clearly see the leaves. Try to take some close ups.

#4 SnowCone

SnowCone

Boxie Pro

• Members Plus
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

I was trying to look it up but I can't clearly see the leaves. Try to take some close ups.

Posted Image

#5 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,362 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

You have dandelions growing amongst what appears to be some sort of chickweed. Since you live out in NV, I don't know what kind of weeds you may have there compared to where I live here in the mid-Atlantic region but the flowers of the weed you are showing look very much like the flowers produced by chickweed varieties in this area. You may want to search "weeds or plants of Nevada" or from your area/region and see what you come up with.

Chickweed is hard to get rid of and spreads rapidly. I don't believe it is toxic to turtles as I have it here on my lawn in places (I just rip out by the roots - I don't use pesticides) and have seen it sometimes in my turtle pens. But, again, what you have out there may be different from what is here so you need to search for your area.

#6 animal kingdom2

animal kingdom2

• Members Plus
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

The leaves do appear to be a dandelion-type. I'd just keep an eye on how the turtles react to them (try to eat them? Ignore them?), but my experience in Tucson area has been that most of the wild weeds that pop up are edible and the turtles like them. The leaves do not look like a member of the nightshade family (toxic to turtles).

#7 canvasseamonkey

canvasseamonkey

• Members Standard
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:03 PM

Something with leaves like that grew in my pen last year over in New Jersey. They nibbled the leaves with no problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users