• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SnowCone

SnowCone

Boxie Pro

• Members Plus
  • 747 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:15 AM

So here's where we left off.. Trying to put a lid on it, literally.
We (Me and my dad) managed to find some suitable meterial to drape over the pvc pipes.
Posted Image

It seemed to work out ok =)
Posted Image

We're using our original idea of of tucking the fencing- attached to rods, behind the pvc pipe as a way of locking the door, and as double security I'm using a lot of wire ties to ensure nothing ever gets in, or out!
Posted Image

It eventually became very difficult for me, so my brother alongside my dad worked together to finish it without me, and with that the protective netting was finally created! Yes!
Posted Image

Now, it's finished.. omg! putting the fencing up took 2 days but it's very secure and functional. Here's my boyfriend demonstrating how to open it (there are 4 doors in total). You simply lay the rod ontop of the whole thing so I can easily get in and do what I need to do inside the habitat.
Posted Image

View from south side, outside the fencing.
Posted Image

And the north side.
Posted Image

The last thing I did was finish up the pond, I decided (and tested) that by just putting rocks inside and keeping the water at a certain level that the turtles can get out fairly well once they figure out which parts to exit at.
Posted Image

Guess what time it is! Time to put these 6 turtles into their new home! =) They are all different sizes but I put them together in a storage ben and they all got along ok (e.i. ignoring each other). By the way, it's a good idea to make sure that turtles are at least 2 inches in shell length before putting them outside!
I'm surprised they sat still long enough to give me a chance to position them like this :lol:
Posted Image

Here we go, all on grass for the first time!
Posted Image

Dandi found his/her spot to hang out for the day
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tumble's still alittle 'shell-shocked' from the sensation of grass I think :P
Posted Image

But he evenually found his way over to Vega :)
Posted Image

I got them all together once more to give them their first meal as a family in a new home.
This isn't their regular feeding area (due to the mulch, don't want any of that accidently ingested!) so it was just a 1-time special occasion meal of plain lettuce =) Their eating area is actually in the grass on some rocks (rocks = good for filing down beaks while eating!)
Posted Image

Here's a cute picture of Tumble hiding under a *coughfakecough* plant :lol:
Posted Image

Ahh this pond is much larger than the water dish in Grant's previous indoor home!
Posted Image

Viva is one of the two that were already outside but in a smaller habitat, she still turns her nose up to fresh foods when I'm watching =p
Posted Image

Another picture of the habitat only there's turtles in it this time! ;)
Posted Image

Here's Vega (Also previously outside) enjoying the pond, it's also bigger than his old water dish! <_<
Posted Image

Linda found a good spot under a bush right next to a running sprinkler :lol:
Posted Image

The Before and After!
Before: Weedy has-been garden
Posted Image

After: Turtle park!
Posted Image

"It's not freedom, but it's close enough!"
Posted Image

Check out this video I took during their first moments in the new home =)

Edited by SnowCone, 05 April 2011 - 12:20 AM.

#2 Amanda1

Amanda1

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 4,731 posts
  • Interests:turtles, tortoises, horses, conservation, music, art.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:36 PM

Looks really great! well worth all the hard work you have put into it! my only concern would be making sure each turtle can easily climb in and out of their little pond. would hate to have one flip trying to climb out!
great work!

#3 SnowCone

SnowCone

Boxie Pro

• Members Plus
  • 747 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

Looks really great! well worth all the hard work you have put into it! my only concern would be making sure each turtle can easily climb in and out of their little pond. would hate to have one flip trying to climb out!
great work!

That's my concern too, that and possibly getting stuck in/under the grass, I'm checking on them several times a day and it seems they are doing just fine =) *knock on wood*

#4 Matt S.

Matt S.

Long Time Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8,435 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:28 PM

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing!

#5 Amanda1

Amanda1

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:56 AM

I have walk through ponds for my boxies. that way there is no chance of flipping. I will see if I can find a picture. they are just made out of pond liner and placed on an indent on the ground.
My avatar also has one of these shallow walk through ponds for my yellowfoot. Here is one I have for my cherryhead redfoots. Its in the left corner. easy to clean just blast iot out with the hose. excuse the sheets they were failed attempts to save plants over the winter.

Posted Image

#6 SnowCone

SnowCone

Boxie Pro

• Members Plus
  • 747 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:20 PM

I have walk through ponds for my boxies. that way there is no chance of flipping. I will see if I can find a picture. they are just made out of pond liner and placed on an indent on the ground.
My avatar also has one of these shallow walk through ponds for my yellowfoot. Here is one I have for my cherryhead redfoots. Its in the left corner. easy to clean just blast iot out with the hose. excuse the sheets they were failed attempts to save plants over the winter.

Posted Image

The problem I have with that is they are difficult to remove and clean. The type of pond here I can lift out, dump, scrub and put back with fresh water every several weeks. How do you clean ponds that are set into the ground without getting a vacuum out or blasting it with a hose (would make a mess of my white walls outside!) I also have the darnest time growing water plants and moss so I have no way of natural filtration and getting the levels at a healthy balance enough to say it's safe for turtles.

Edited by SnowCone, 06 April 2011 - 01:21 PM.

#7 Amanda1

Amanda1

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:53 PM

they are just sitting on the ground, i just lift them up and spray them off

#8 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,361 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:20 PM

What a nice job! Smile4Katie has a thread in here on how she did a soaking pond - I have seen it in person and it is absolutely fabulous. This thread is either in the habitat/enclosure forum or in the box turtle forum. I will check to see if we can pin the thread as it contains great instructions along with photographs and there is no risk of turtles flipping or the water too deep.

#9 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,361 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:24 PM

I pinned the thread - it is in the Outdoor Pond forum.

#10 animal kingdom2

animal kingdom2

• Members Plus
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:48 PM

Snowcone, I am always amazed at what you come up with! This looks awesome - anytime you want to come visit me in Corona, I'll be more than happy to put you to work here! :lol:

I have boxies that like to SWIM, so I do have a deeper water area (about 12 inches) for them. I have never had a problem with one of my boxies getting out - rocks and ramps, and they always seem to find it.

If you can find any water iris, the roots work pretty well in helping to keep the water clean (though with this heat and sun, I do have to clean it monthly). Plus, the plants give them something to munch on or hide around/beneath.

Awesome pics, kudos to you and all who helped to create this "turtle world" for them!

#11 AmyW

AmyW

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:43 PM

It looks fantastic! :) Your hard work has surely paid off and I'm certain that the turtles who get to call this home are very happy to live there.

#12 SnowCone

SnowCone

Boxie Pro

• Members Plus
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:05 PM

I have these signs made up that say stuff like "The Lodge" (the little house thing they will hibernate inside) and other cute titles to decorate the area with =) I also have tiny decorative wood bird houses from Michaels painted to represent each turtle that I'll hang inside the habitat.
What I'm getting at is I'm not completely done yet :P still lots of little thing I'll be adding- mostly for looks. B)

Btw, The signs are kind of based of my turtle-sized street signs I have in the main habitat like WITHDRAW for a STOP sign, or Grub Zone instead of Construction, street names like Terrapin Way, and arrows pointing toward the Salad Bar. I love adding little details that really do make it look like a 'Turtle Town' :lol:

#13 SliderAngels

SliderAngels

• Members Plus
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, Turtle Breeding, Meeting turtle owners, Atlanta Braves Baseball, Having fun, 'Recent' Old School Videogames (PS2), and most of all, God the father, the son, and the holy spirit

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

S.C., That's what i call Turtle Heaven.

#14 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,470 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:58 PM

Wow!! What a beautiful enclosure. I can see that your 6-turtles really love it...they are so lucky. I've watch this setup from the begining and what a tranformation. You and your dad did a fantastic job. Love the vid, they look so cute in their new home. Great job. ;)

#15 boxieboy

boxieboy

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Turtles!

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:07 AM

I love seeing turtle town! Keep posting pictures and videos of it! I just made my first outdoor enclosure for my box turtles who range from 1 to 2 years old. Next year I hope to move from the 4 ft.by 4 ft. pen to something that will hopefullybe half as good as yours. Thanks for posting!

#16 Res Owner

Res Owner

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:1st the LORD then hunt fish and turtles

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

MAN i love that set up how long and how much money would it take to do a set up like that

#17 clemmysnut

clemmysnut

• Members Plus
  • 1,888 posts
  • Interests:VP of the mid-Atlantic Turtle and Tortoise Society (MATTS)
    Please check us out and join MATTS today!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

Great setup...I don't know how I missed this topic.

#18 paul112

paul112

Long Term Keeper

• Members Plus
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:06 AM

Fantastic, thanks for sharing :)

Best,
Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users