10 replies to this topic

#1 Soon

Soon

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:14 AM

Hello

I just bought a new turtle and I am not sure what it is at all. It does swim underwater but does need a floating dock. Here are some pictures of it hope you can help me out thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• photo (10).JPG
  • photo (11).JPG
  • red black.JPG

#2 Callie

Callie

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:North American Box Turtles, wildlife rehabilitation and conservation

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

I'm not an expert on asian turtles, but it looks to me like some sort of box turtle. In which case most of them are semi-aquatic and need both land and water areas in their enclosures. The babies also like wiggly insects like worms, crickets, etc. I know most of the native box turtle species in asia arw endangered, so kudos for your find! I recommend posting in the exotics section on this forum and see if some of our asian turtle experts on here can help you narrow it down!

#3 Soon

Soon

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:39 PM

I'm not an expert on asian turtles, but it looks to me like some sort of box turtle. In which case most of them are semi-aquatic and need both land and water areas in their enclosures. The babies also like wiggly insects like worms, crickets, etc. I know most of the native box turtle species in asia arw endangered, so kudos for your find! I recommend posting in the exotics section on this forum and see if some of our asian turtle experts on here can help you narrow it down!

Thank you very much :)

#4 Chadmann

Chadmann

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Members Plus
  • 417 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, Prehensile-tailed skinks, Northern Pine snakes, cats, Boston Legal, and Michigan Football but not necessarily in that order.

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:46 AM

Hello

I just bought a new turtle and I am not sure what it is at all. It does swim underwater but does need a floating dock. Here are some pictures of it hope you can help me out thanks

I believe it is most likely a Heosemys Grandis or a Cyclemys species. The only thing making me uncertain are the carapacial ridges and coloration of the plastron which makes me question the accuracy of my guess. I know that Geomyda japonica is more aquatic then it's cousin (g. Spengleri) but I highly doubt it
is G. Japonica. If it is you hit the jackpot.

#5 justatwinturbo

justatwinturbo

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 448 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:16 AM

Looks like a reeves turtle to me, is there something I'm missing?

#6 animal kingdom2

animal kingdom2

• Members Plus
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:19 PM

I'll leave the ID up to the others. But I do have a comment/concern: I see this a lot. Buying a turtle without knowing what it is? Sigh.

#7 bleecker

bleecker

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Carpenter by trade, animals, music, bass player.

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

I'll leave the ID up to the others. But I do have a comment/concern: I see this a lot. Buying a turtle without knowing what it is? Sigh.

I agree.

#8 Erik

Erik

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:20 PM

I wish more pet shops/etc would properly post EXACTLY what type of turtle they are selling including the full latin name instead of going for a gimmicky trade name.

#9 Soon

Soon

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:42 AM

The turtle names are in chinese and I cannot read it + they sell 50 in a bucket :/ its really bad in Hong Kong but I think it is a chinese pond turtle or something liek that .

#10 ford7379trucks

ford7379trucks

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:45 AM

that is a Reeves turtle please read this. click me and this

Edited by ford7379trucks, 05 June 2011 - 01:54 AM.

#11 Soon

Soon

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:18 AM

thank you very much !!!! !it is definately a reeves turtle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users