• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nosetotail

Nosetotail

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

Hey guys, I posted about this on another forum and received a helpful response, however I need a little clarification. I just picked up two established hatchling Mississippi Maps. Their shells are about the size of a silver dollar, and they were slightly larger than the rest of the turtles in the batch. I'm just wondering how much to feed them.

One of the little suckers is an extremely aggressive eater, having no qualms about checking out my fingers, and I have a hard time fighting him off from the food for the other guy. I'm sure he would eat till he exploded if I let him.

Anyway, I received one response saying I should feed as much as could fit in their head, so I'm wondering if that means I should feed about the equivalent to the size of their head? Or is there another way to determine how much to feed them?

#2 croc 2-3

croc 2-3

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 484 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:00 AM

I feed mine about 2 or 3 pellets a piece & add 2 pellets an inch or two, feeding frequency is every other day occasional back to back days when offering different food item.

#3 coolaid

coolaid

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

Hi,

My map was about that size when I got him, and originally I was giving him one med. mealworm a day plus he has anacharis and other water plants to chew on as he wished (he is in a community tank) and he grabs pellets, and reptomin as well.. He now usually gets 1-2 wax worms, and 1-2 giant meal worms (usually no more then 3 worms total) a day. I'm sure he goes after some of the baby convict cichlids that live in the tank as food.

I give him as many worms as he aggressively goes after with a pair of plastic yellow tongs that as soon as he sees them he goes crazy dancing at the front of the tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users