Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:3 toed Box Turtles
    Gamera(F)mom
    Pugsley(M)dad
    Lumpy(M)

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

I noticed flies tiny fly like things in the soil substrate. Any hints on how to get rid of them?

#2 portsample

portsample

• Members Standard
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

I noticed flies tiny fly like things in the soil substrate. Any hints on how to get rid of them?

We've got a variety of soil mites as well as other unknown insects living in the terraria along with our turtles. None of these bugs appear to be parasites or to be causing harm in any way. None have spread beyond the habitat and so may not really be a problem. They are likely just a part of the ecosystem that makes up your turtle habitat. I would recommend refraining from using pesticides, disinfectants or other bug killers to try and remove them because effects from these may do more harm to your turtles than good.

#3 TurtleDean

TurtleDean

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 475 posts
    Gamera(F)mom
    Pugsley(M)dad
    Lumpy(M)

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:58 AM

We've got a variety of soil mites as well as other unknown insects living in the terraria along with our turtles. None of these bugs appear to be parasites or to be causing harm in any way. None have spread beyond the habitat and so may not really be a problem. They are likely just a part of the ecosystem that makes up your turtle habitat. I would recommend refraining from using pesticides, disinfectants or other bug killers to try and remove them because effects from these may do more harm to your turtles than good.

I changed the soil, still a few flies, they just were out of control. I will look in the hardware store for flypaper or something, if I think I will harm the turtles I wont go that route. I will try not leave food dish out all day because that and poop is what they relish. thanks for the input portsample.

#4 turtlefanatic

turtlefanatic

my turtles = my family

• Members Plus
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:04 AM

I had this problem a couple of years ago. I hung flypaper above the enclosure. It trapped the flying adults and kept them from reproducing. It took awhile, but eventually eliminated the problem.

#5 TurtleDean

TurtleDean

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 475 posts
    Gamera(F)mom
    Pugsley(M)dad
    Lumpy(M)

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

I had this problem a couple of years ago. I hung flypaper above the enclosure. It trapped the flying adults and kept them from reproducing. It took awhile, but eventually eliminated the problem.

Good call, I thought of that myself. Thanks.

#6 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,365 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:16 AM

To fully get rid of the insects and their larvae/eggs which are in your enclosure/substrate, completely clean out the enclosure and throw out all substrate. Clean the enclosure with a bleach solution thoroughly and let fully dry. New substrate is needed. The insects either came from (1) the substrate itself initially, or (2) feces or food left in/on the substrate attracted them and they set up house. Once you eliminate the cause and clean out all larvae/eggs, they should not reappear. Just do not leave food in there (clean out all uneaten food) and also any feces on a daily basis.

#7 TurtleDean

TurtleDean

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 475 posts
    Gamera(F)mom
    Pugsley(M)dad
    Lumpy(M)

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:48 AM

To fully get rid of the insects and their larvae/eggs which are in your enclosure/substrate, completely clean out the enclosure and throw out all substrate. Clean the enclosure with a bleach solution thoroughly and let fully dry. New substrate is needed. The insects either came from (1) the substrate itself initially, or (2) feces or food left in/on the substrate attracted them and they set up house. Once you eliminate the cause and clean out all larvae/eggs, they should not reappear. Just do not leave food in there (clean out all uneaten food) and also any feces on a daily basis.

I replaced the soil and am housing the boxies outside for a couple of days, the problem with not leaving food out for them is they don't exactly come running when I put food down. I will they are gone now, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users