• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GPG

GPG

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:23 PM

I found out today that the local sportsman club in my area, shoots turtles if they see them (on land or pond), because apparently they will eat baby geese hatchlings, which prevent the sportsmens club from hunting them when they are adults. I'm horrified to hear this, does anyone know if this is legal in Ontario Canada? I would love to report this activity.

#2 Erik

Erik

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:47 PM

Don't know if it is legal but it is extremely poor taste, misinformed, and unethical. Sure there have been accounts of Snapping Turtles taking small waterfowl but that is a natural course of nature.These 'sportsmen' want to protect the baby geese so they can grow up and they can shoot them later.Strange logic and selfish priorities.
I have heard many accounts of Fishermen in the MidWest and the South who kill any turtle they accidently catch by hook and line and consider the turtles a nuisance that interferes with their fishing which is a past time, not a sustenance activity or a necessity for food.Shooting at turtles for target practice occurs quite frequently in some areas.I am not condemning hunters or fishermen, just unethical, misguided ones who are not conservationists or naturalists.
Getting mad at a turtle for being a turtle makes no sense to me. And we are the supposed "highest evolved" species.Sorry for the rant but this really touches a nerve.

#3 GPG

GPG

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:11 PM

Erik I totally agree, I can't stand it when defenseless animals are killed for no reason.

#4 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,367 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:20 AM

I found out today that the local sportsman club in my area, shoots turtles if they see them (on land or pond), because apparently they will eat baby geese hatchlings, which prevent the sportsmens club from hunting them when they are adults. I'm horrified to hear this, does anyone know if this is legal in Ontario Canada? I would love to report this activity.

I am not familiar with Canadian laws but you can easily find out what you need to know by contacting the Canadian equivalent of a Fish & Wildlife Dept. for your Province or if you have anything similiar for a Society for Cruelity to Animals, they can advise you. If they are shooting turtles on private land and those turtles have some protection under any laws in your Province or in Canada itself, or they are being shot out of season if a game animal (i.e., snapper), they could be cited/fined, arrested, etc. or if there is no law protecting the turtles, they could be cited/fined, arrested for cruelity to animals. Make some phone calls....

#5 GPG

GPG

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

I've reported them to the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Ontario SPCA, and a Ontario Nature Club. I found out that only snapping turtles may be hunted, and only using a box, funnel trap or bare hands, NOT guns, and only during the period of July 15th - Sept 15th. I hope something is done about this.

#6 AmyW

AmyW

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

Good for you for doing whatever you can to put a stop to this! I hope it all works out.

#7 mom2chomper

mom2chomper

• Members Standard
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:dogs, dog rescue, herpotology, reading

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

I think it's great you took the initiative to find out and try to do something. I don't understand what ever made human beings think they were so high and mighty and above all other creatures. It is way past time for us to start respecting all life and all animals.

#8 TurtleDean

TurtleDean

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:3 toed Box Turtles
    Gamera(F)mom
    Pugsley(M)dad
    Lumpy(M)

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

I think it's great you took the initiative to find out and try to do something. I don't understand what ever made human beings think they were so high and mighty and above all other creatures. It is way past time for us to start respecting all life and all animals.

Good Job, anything to protect our wild friends is a job well done. :)

#9 Methos75

Methos75

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Reptile conservation and ecology

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:34 AM

I love Turtles, but as an Fisherman also I find that RES can be a huge nuisance and quite destructive to an ecosystem if not monitored and kept at an stable level. The Lake behind my house is a perfect example, it is literally crawling with RES, hundreds of them and the few times I have fished out there I caught 6-7 RES within an hour. But while I see lots of baby RES, I see no Fish in a lake where a record Bass was once caught, and the only other species of turtles i see there are being munched on by RES. While I personally do not kill Turtles, I can see where others who fish this lake would because they are a mess. I have ordered some Turtle traps to humanely catch them and relocate them, so hopefully i can get the population down to something not so destructive.

#10 Erik

Erik

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:54 PM

Non natives can have a huge impact on the ecosystem. Several lakes out her in Southern California are overrun with RES from people dumping them in the lakes.

#11 Methos75

Methos75

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Reptile conservation and ecology

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

What is crazy is that RES are native to my area, but the huge increase of them due to the Pet Trade has skewed populations even here.

#12 TurtleDean

TurtleDean

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:3 toed Box Turtles
    Gamera(F)mom
    Pugsley(M)dad
    Lumpy(M)

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:38 AM

I have heard of people killing Razorbacks due to fishing concerns what they don't know is Razorbacks eat mollusks and insects that prey on hatchlings.
Some turtles hurt fish populations but some turtles actually HELP fish populations,
education is the key to changing attitudes.

#13 Erik

Erik

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:35 PM

Agree. Education is the answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users