• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan H

Jordan H

"What is it like when your turtle comes out of its shell?&q

• Members Plus
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:34 AM

I have a pond that I haven't had much success keeping turtles in here in Washington, I was thinking to try out my luck with Western Painted turtles.

So the idea would be to purchase a group of hatchlings to introduce to the pond and hopefully they would be able to live in there year round.

Any suggestions on how I could do this and where to wholesale from?

#2 Jordan H

Jordan H

• Members Plus
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:53 PM

..Nothing?

#3 THREEStripedMAMA

THREEStripedMAMA

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:39 PM

I'm surprised someone hasn't replied sooner.... I don't have experience keeping a pond, but there are PLENTY others that do & lots of information about it. Look under the Enclosure forum (outdoor pond section)..... why haven't you been successful at having your turtles in the pond? Escapes? Deaths due to Weather? Predators?..... Read over info about pond keeping & make an adjustments or changes to keep your turtles safe & secure :)

#4 Jordan H

Jordan H

• Members Plus
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:47 PM

Mostly due to the colder months and failed attempts at them hibernating. My pond is 5' deep and this time I'm looking to add mud to the bottom of it for Western Painteds to be able to bury themselves and properly overwinter. I feel like this would also give me more opportunity to add more aquatic plant life at the bottom.

#5 Res Owner

Res Owner

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:1st the LORD then hunt fish and turtles

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:44 AM

well adding mud would be a great place to start ive also have read you may know this but keep the pond fence turtles like to pond hop or the ones around here do and also just make sure they eat plenty enough for winter like the other animals

#6 Res Owner

Res Owner

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:1st the LORD then hunt fish and turtles

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:59 PM

also i just thought of it but put like a automatic feeder up for them they will like i would say good luck

#7 steve-o

steve-o

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, tortoises, and Nacho's.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:57 PM

I have a 3000 gallon pond in Vancouver, WA and have had great luck with aquatics year round in my pond. To be honest, I have actually had better luck with red eared sliders and yellow bellys than I have with western painted turtles. I can't figure it out, but even though they are our number one native species in this state, they don't seem to be as hardy red eared sliders. I also keep malaysians in my pond in the summer months and a couple of muds, but for the most part, red eared sliders do amazing and you can tend to get them for free. I'm not a big fan of sliders, but people seem to drop them off on my door step. My pond has a rock substate with some slight muck in the bottom, but for the most part they just hibernate right on the rocky substrate all winter long. Ponds are great in Washington if done right, however I'm about 3 hours south of you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users