Breeding question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bleecker

bleecker

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Carpenter by trade, animals, music, bass player.

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:12 PM

I have a male Florida Red- Bellied turtle who wants to breed.
Last winter I had to separate him from his long time (10 years) tank buddy, a female Mississippi Map. He was making all the right moves on and off for a couple years or so with no response from MM. The courtship behavior progressed and he started to get more aggressive, biting the back of her neck and they would splash around, surprising the poop out of me! I was concerned for her safety so I reluctantly separated them... They were both in a 135 now she's in a 75... Other than that he's a mellow turtle with a great personality. He's also very handsome.
Is there a need for certain species of turtles to breed? Are FRB's endangered?
I would consider rehoming this turtle for the right reasons to the right place, or I will keep him forever without question.
Thanks.

#2 boxieboy

boxieboy

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Turtles!

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:10 AM

You don't "need" to rehome your turtle, but you can if you want to. Also turtles don't need to breed. If you were to get a female fr him he would probably harass her from what I've heard about him. Unless you plan to seperate them immediately after mating I would not advise getting a female.

#3 bleecker

bleecker

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Carpenter by trade, animals, music, bass player.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I don't have the time to breed turtles, although the idea intrigues me. Maybe someday...
My question is, are Florida Red bellies endangered? Do people breed certain species to help the species along?
Thanks.

#4 Roger3

Roger3

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Herping, hunting, and fishing.

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:55 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I don't have the time to breed turtles, although the idea intrigues me. Maybe someday...
My question is, are Florida Red bellies endangered? Do people breed certain species to help the species along?
Thanks.

I don't think Florida Red bellies are endangered.

And as far as people breeding certain species to help them along......
well yes they do.
But it is frowned apon when well meaning individuals do it, and even illegal to do so, in many states.
(One reason is the fear of spreading sickness and diseases to the already struggling natural population)

But it is still done, and over the years I have met people who breed and release turtles in Louisiana and Texas.
Personally I don't do it, but many people do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users