• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:59 AM

hey just wanted to share my pics... slowly getting done with this thing (hard finding time to work on it, plus its been in the 100's with a heat index lately... hard to make myself get in the garage and work on it

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00076.jpg
  • IMG00069.jpg
  • IMG00075.jpg

#2 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:55 AM

this picture in the middle is just to show the size, the taped off rectangle is the approximate size of the tub i have it in now, i took it to show the difference, im insulating the table with foam sheet insulation to make it more energy efficient. i got lucky and got a remnant vinyl flooring piece from lowes that was priced wrong (listed as 4x8 when i got it home it was 5.5 x 12!!) the plain wood is a top, that will be on a hinge everything will be covered in the flooring, plexi glass for the wholes u see now (my boxie doesnt seem to mind the see through sides (lived in an aquarium a week or so before i got him in his plastic tote, lived in one for at least a year apparently before i got him. i plan on making a pond out of a large plastic tray, prolly making sum type of filtration system with a fountain pump. probably make a box out of plexi glass and use gravel as a filter... not entirely sure yet,... i do have a good sized hosta plant im going to transplant into the tank, some honey suckle ive been training to grow sideways... also plan on getting a hibiscus, the tank is 5 feet by 2.5 feet( outter dimensions say prolly loose a total of 2 inches or so with insulation and wood thickness on inner diameter) prolly try and get a 4' florescent and 5.0 uvb bulb and a ceramic heat emitter/ thermostat, for now i have a compact flourescent uvb 10.0 ill be mounting inside, and a 75x zoo med basking bulb for heating. id really like to add in an ultrasonic fogger,
i also made 2 hides out of a crab-apple log, and have been collecting rocks for my turtle to climb over and play with

#3 AmyW

AmyW

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:20 PM

That looks awesome so far! Can't wait to see the finished project. :)

#4 Turtle_Whisperer

Turtle_Whisperer

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Box Turtles

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

It makes me wish I had a garage with tools to work with. :(

#5 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:07 AM

got the first two coats of paint on the top last night, im getting pretty excited, franklins been tearing his plastic bin something horrible lately, guess its really starting to get comfortable in there, i cant hardly keep any plants growing he eats or digs them up might have to make a box outta plexi just to put worms in on the big one

#6 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:10 AM

oh and, sadly id like my garage to be full of tools, i had to steal a bunch from my dad for the project... actually so far ive only spent $25 on this whole project, everything else has been scrap from other projects. and... if if you saw it in person... my woodworking ability is rather sad, i got out of my ability after making the base im much more framework than this stuff people can actually see haha

#7 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:58 PM

Well, after almost an hour at lowes i found what should be turtle safe silcon in caulkgun sized tubes and started puttinng in the vynil flooring liner and windows.... my lack of skill is making this part ugly as is how ive let the project grow.... ive made allot of mistakes so far, and learned quite a few things id do differently the next time i build a table ( the next one will be all plexiglass walls as my turtle seems fine with this, doesnt spend much time running into them) but ive definitely made this a much harder priject than it had to be blah... ill be so happy when franklin gets in there in a week or too ( going to give paint and gluea good long time to cure out) and i can start trying to find frank a friend... id love to find another female( picked the name before i figured out it was a her and my neice likes franklin to much to change it haha) and a male, eventually have a large outdoor area and keep the babies inside

#8 AmyW

AmyW

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:57 AM

Ahh, you may think it looks ugly, but function is more important anywawy. :) Glad to hear you're making progress, can't wait to see more pics!

#9 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:11 AM

well... im up to about 40 dollars now... gotta love using scrap... your right amyw it is about being functional... i just wish id planned better... my original design id have built a ramp out of the plastic tote franklin lives in now, sat the whole thing in the table, and kept all the water and dirt in there... then it started growing on me ahah... on the plus side, since i ended up doing a large trapezoid hood for the table, i dont have to lock the hood to the table... it weighs over 20lb... no way franklin can get out haha... still trying to decide how im going to filter the small pond i plan on putting in (franklin loves swimming) wither make a undergravle type set up with plexiglass in whatever container i use along with plants, or a sump style with plants so that i have lots of water... either way im going to put in a long waterfall (it will run all the way down the back wall and back again to dump into the water... putting it through the hot zone of the tank keeping the water warmer and hopefully, add to the humidity... i dont now i have to buy another tube of caulk probably (about $5) find a container for the pond... and about 15 for the pump to run the waterfall/filter and the substrate... im going to come in at under 100 dollars for everything... to be added to later offcourse, not having to buy the wood paint plexiglass caulk gun and such have really helped keep the project low cost... and i have aprox 12 squar feet of floor space... im thinking of making a cave out of plexi glass for a big hide where my one small window is, set in a "hill" maybe wire up sum LEDS on a switch for observation (i baby sit allot 18months-10 year old... they love the turtle be neat to be able to flip a switch and look the turtle "lair" haha... which will add to the square footage... i might be "rescuing" a box turtle or too soon from the pet shop my cousin works at, theyve had them for over a year and cant seem to sell them (probably cause theyre priced at $180) an ornate or a three toe... should both be boys, and theyll be vet checked before i get them, supposed to be about 7 to 8 years old and captive bred... i dont know if no one comes in to buy them in the next couple weeks ill get them for free, should be just intime to live in the old enclosure while my turtle moves and acclimates to the table for a week or two

#10 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

It makes me wish I had a garage with tools to work with. :(

haha well turtle whisperer if you didnt live in tx... id offer to make u something ive still got several sheets of scrap particle board and 40 odd feet of 2x6's and... several good sized pieces of plexiglass scrap to use up

#11 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

my camera is being a bit... messed up on my new cell phone... this is a pic of the liner all in and the "cave" it will be covered with an dirt, and work as a hide, eventually i think i will add leds on a switch to inside the cave, it will sit in front of the window on the short wall, so you can see inside check out what the turtles doing... at this point ive got to clean everything up, and fit the lid to it... i also mounted an outdoor light on the inside very cheap one to hold an aquarium plant bulb and a uvb bulb for the momment i will plan on the basking bulb being on the outside ... ill have to wait till its set up to play with that, not sure how well my insulation will work... ill try and get some more pics and post them latter... hopefully get everything done tonight...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0015.jpg

#12 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

I got the top.mounted still need to put weathstripping in to make a good secure seal an offcourse water test it, but basically the paint and silicons just curing now. :)
Also with a 120v spot light mounted a 1/4" from the screen on top, i raised the temp 19 degres in a half hour, and shut the light off end of the next half hour i had only dropped 3 degrees... i now know i have to use a thermostat... but my carbon footprint is tiny and it only cost me $11.64 extra ... anyone know whats the smallest ceramic heat admitter i can get haha... so far its now at $55 dollars total cost for the table... all wood, screws, and intank light sockets are repuroosed scrap... oh and the plexi glass... most is abiut smallest it comes sum is aprox1/4" the thick came in handy for cave... the thin for the windows... its not pretty but its mine and franklin now has aprox12.3 square feet to play and roam ( originally calculated it at 12.5.... but lost a lil bit to the insulation and liner .... start sterilizing rocks and logs next week, moving it into my room, filling with substrate and planting whoot

#13 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

IMAG0019.jpg
constructions done... might have to return my new phone ... pictures keep coming out like that or worse... messed up colors
might do a little trim to try and make the windows look better, ... sadly itll be a week or two before i can do anything else going to give it atleast 2 weeks to dry out well, then start the planting process... and... figuring out my pond type thing ... i cant wait to get franklin in

#14 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

Well, got my hands on a free thermostat, a honeywell from the 60's thing still works within a few degrees acording to several different thermometers. But im going to have to do some modifacations on my top, out in a dividing wall to help get a greater temperature raise.... its all sort of theoretical still my garage is was running about 85 so had the thermostat set at 90 the cool side of the tank was running just a few degrees below the hot side, my house on the other hand is only about 75 ... think it should be an easy fix though ill try just spliting the hot and cool sides of the top with a peice of foam insulation.... the cave is a great success in an inch of sand it supported a cinderblock (much more weight than will ever be on it) blah this is turning into the never ending project

#15 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:57 PM

well got my divider set up seems to work really well, the heated side is stays 10 degrees warmer than the room its in while the cool side is only a degree or two higher than the room.

#16 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:53 PM

still having camera problems but i put 5 inches of water in the tank 12 hours ago... and no leaks whoot, ill let it go till morning if nothing else to straighten out my tables frame (my re-purposed 2x6's werent exactly straight as where the 4x4's i used as legs blah the problems with scrap) and to make sure its going to stay water proof
im pretty excited it actually seems like its going to work... getting really antsy to get it done and franklin in
but ive got to set up my soaking area
buy topsoil and gravel, sterilize the rocks and logs, move it into my room, get everything in the tank planted, and give it a week to get rooted in... blah its taking to long ahaha

#17 AmyW

AmyW

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

I'm enjoying your progress! I think it looks great and no leaks is a definite plus! :) Sorry to hear about your phone, hopefully they'll replace it.

#18 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:04 PM

welll... my dad suggested putting a whole just through the wood on the bottom, just in case... i had leaks water poured out of it... id siphoned the water out that i saw... blah ill have to buy more silicon when i get paid.. blah oh well it had started going way to smoothly lately haha

thanks amy, sad to say... i left a protective cover piece on the camera lens ahaha i felt pretty dumb standing in the store

#19 AmyW

AmyW

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

Well, leaks happen! I can usually count on something going wrong when things move along too smoothly as well.
Lol about the camera! That sounds exactly like something I would do! :P

#20 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:33 PM

Ya... guy at the store was real sympathetic.... i was just glad my friend that works there was busy and wasnt who talked to about it haha... ya i wish id chosen something different as a liner material... but slowly but surely i grind onward haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users