• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:23 AM

Well im in a race now i have to finish my turtle.table by the 24 ir i wont be able to till atleast october :( . Got a voicemail my.dr finally got.me.scheduled for surgery to fix my acl tear whoot.... itll be interesting

#22 paupiedequincey

paupiedequincey

• Members Standard
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:the wild kingdom

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

Nice work! I really like the shape and the windows :0

A quick idea to clean up the look of the windows.. try and get some decorative craft/furniture wood strips somewhere and miter the corners and "frame" the windows with it.. you can overlap to make the edges even from the outside and paint to match, or use a contrast color..

You could also do the same if you found some cool old big picture frames at a thrift store.. just cut to size finish the windows.

Another idea would be to use a natural log/tree branch if you can find one straight enough.. this would be harder obviously as you'd have to plane one side flat but it could look cool on one of the smaller windows..

#23 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

Well, i thought about it... ill prolly box um.in later... or more specifically have dad do.it hes the woodworker, the log idea be really cool i might have to do that... cedar logs be good they grow so quick and striaght prolly get them fairly easy( outside the tank theyd be safe right?) Thanks paupie feels good to get approval ya know?
Also major score today was doing a lil work for my aunt got a ton of pill pugs, think ill set them up in a lil critter keeper for now let um breed up be awesome for keeping it clean... ( i probably caught 50 ) between them and the worms which are breading faster than the turtle can eat them should make for a good balanced tank, also got a couple clumps of strawberry palnts for it free straw berrys whoot priductive day.... also ive kinda given up an making it look nice, like u can see it in the pictures but the partical board is ruff... going to start saving for a plexi glass walled table to be built in a couple years that i can put out on display ( budget for thats going to be between 5 and 600.. iffcourse some things ill buy along the way new thermometers hydrometers thermostat heat wire ceramic heater flourecent lights.. blah blah blah this is tenporary, the base will have a cabnet built around it and be painted black to hold the knew tank eventually ive wondered about maybe adding a wood turtle and big pond in the future one... the base should support 1500lb 2 if i add another 2 4*4 legs and fame in the bottom with the cabenet.... well thats what im td anyway... so this is a ruff i want a big enclosure with room to grow lots of plants and such... and i feel bad franklin is to active allot of days for his sterilite box home .... i also want to add another turtle friend... maybe a gulf ... in any event... i know u cant tell from the pics but... theres no making this table pretty, like the big window the plexi is horribly scratched... i also wish id planned this better id have put the windows in the top, probably should have gone longer and narrower too.. but oh well

On an awesome side not... i missed a cut in the flooring liner id made to get the corners in, just did not silicon it at all hah probably were my leak was... still going to silicon over everything again anyway just to be safe... gotta love those little screw ups eh?

#24 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

Oh and i figure i can add the window trim later ive got several other projects underway to i have to get finished before my surgery... ill be out of commision for atleast a month to 2 months and wont be back to normal till winter at the best... ive also not decided if im going to hibernate franklin yet... probably wont im just not sure about where id do it or anything... ill be keeping tabs on the crawspace and garage attic temps ( we lightly heat garage in winter) hopefully sumplace will be good temps... and it seems wether you really need to hibernate is debateable... thats just what i read i dont have an opinion i figure this first winter it just be much easier to not for me and probably safer for franklin... blahh... also thought it be cool to mabye make an aquatic habbitat under the box turtle one.. like add a shelf for a stock tank maybe get a res or i really like painted... i dont know not sure im up to the upkeep of an aquatic turtle haha

#25 paupiedequincey

paupiedequincey

• Members Standard
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

Well, I think it looks nice as is.. I always like things with a handmade look.. plus its a turtle habitat.. you don't need it looking like a stainless steel dishwasher now do ya :P
Good job with the free plants and pill bugs!
I planted my outdoor enclosure with some field sage.. they had 12" plants on sale at Lowe's for $1.88 so I got two and they have totally spread out and covered nicely..

I'm considering whether to hibernate my 3TB this year.. prob not as we just got her and she's still adjusting to the new climate here.. perhaps indoor "monitored" or something..

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SURGERY and feel better soon, eh? B)

#26 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

IMAG0038.jpg
the side window

#27 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:40 PM

IMAG0043.jpg
the lid open, you can get a look at what i did to the lid to help keep the left hand side hot while the right hand stays cool... seems to work will do better when i get the substrate in i plan on making a hill come up to the divider to restrict airflow between the two sides... should limit it more... hopefully
srry im having problems uploading pictures so ... ya
its seemed to be working when i was testing it... well have to see... you can also sorta see the homemade light sheilds for grow and uvb lights, since im using a thermostat i put one socket through the "divider" so that it still has light when the spot lights off

#28 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:47 PM

IMAG0044.jpg
a close up of the divider, a good look at my homemade light shields... they arent pretty but i dont loose much light through the screen top this way

#29 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

thanks paupie ya ... the future permanent one will be pretty... this ones all about function i like that picture of sonny it actually inspired me to think about using grating as a turtle ramp (the expanded metal picnic table) in and out of a pond for my franklin, i was on my phone when i first replied didnt see that picture haha. i have a similar table and chair set... and tested it franklin can almost climb that expanded metal vertically haha glad i get a good chance to thank you for the inspiration. thanks again... it definitely looks nice at an distance, and again its nice to get praise .... i do still have to work out a way to seal up the tank better... i think the closed foam insulation might work... with some trim maybe... i dont plan on franklin ever having live crickets again... (seems to lazy to chase live ones chirping drives me nuts) so not too worried about escapes pill bugs and worms should just stay in the tank... as will the can o crickets and grass hoppers haha so its more a just in case thing since... pill bugs could climb out if they want to ... oh well ill be really excited when its done

also i was wonder o opinions... i was thinking of doing like a bonsai sort of bog maybe with cypress trees maybe water maples too, trimmed to stay small any thoughts?

#30 Turtle_Whisperer

Turtle_Whisperer

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Box Turtles

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

lol, I was looking at liners at Lowes and they were expensive! I said no way and bought a clear shower curtain there for 3$. It works great lol

#31 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

Id thought about a shower curtain... actually that was my first thought dad convinced me it be to flimsy, allot of that is more the wood i had to use, msd eally doesnt like water, well they apparently haave a vynil sublament for tile now i was curious in, but couldnt find out about if it be safe. I thought a shower curtain would work welll... heck even using a couple to make it good and thick. But oh well, i actually kept surfing craigs list for old pools ( you know those easy set things) i have one and will probably throw it out next year but the vynil bottoms in great shape. I actuallyy dis realize, switch over to 3/4inch plywood and thicker or doubled plexi glass, and my table make a cool home for a small... well im forgetting the terminology but water turtles that dont swimm much just wander around the bottom? I feel like snappers be fin in short water just from observing them

In the wild ( only see um swim much in deep water when your throwing them back in after catching the... theyre a pest at my favorite fishing spot
Srry i hit a bottom accidently and posted before i wanted to

#32 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:28 PM

Well, leak.test again in a few days, think i have all the gaps between my lid and walls closed up ( closed foam insulation and d channel weatherstripping) i might actually get to finish my project this year haha

I i still need to paint the foam..( dont beleice its toxic but certainly an impaction danger) ill upload sum more pics when i get paint done.... reallly hoping i got all the leaks sealed up, then its off to home depot for gravel and dirt.

#33 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

what should be the final product... well thinkng about a permenant holder but for now... just using a piece of 2x2 sort of how u see it in the pic

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0003.jpg

#34 paupiedequincey

paupiedequincey

• Members Standard
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:56 PM

very cool! now for the fun part of landscaping it :lol:
Im sure Franklin will be very cozy in there!!

#35 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:17 AM

Well gotta fill it full of water and fingers crossed) sheck for leaks in the am... i cant wait to do the landscapeing, i have a brick wall around my patio and its filling up with plants haha

#36 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:25 AM

Oh oh oh, im pretty excited *crosses fingers* the whole project should come in for under 70 bucks whoot, well i did away with my pond idea for the time being, shipping be cutting it close for my deadline, getting a filled propane tank busting out my deep fryer burner and my turkey pot friday, going to boil the crap out of my landscape stuff( had a mold problem awhile back scared me for a few days) thinking ill get sum bricks going with some "hidden" hides i think, prolly block most off so i can easily change which ones franklin has access too. I also still have sum silicon left over anyway... not the best but will do for bricks .... and ive been collecting gateraide and a couple 2liter coke bottles for little hils and such... also home depot has 1 cub foot bags of "topsoil" for 98 cents score its a about half sand should be great for digging

#37 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

well... leaks fixed sterilizing the last of my logs and rocks for the table right now, whoot hopefully setting up and planting next week... turtle should be in, in about 2-3 weeks (going to let the plants get good and settled first ..... pill bugs, and earthworms too... get the thermostat dial in and got a brand new 2 probe zilla thermometer/hydrometer off ebay for 13 bucks shipped should help get my thermostat set right and get a good check on what kind of humidity levels im running,

#38 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:00 AM

well... finally got the table water tight, draining it and moving it inside tonight, gettin the substrate in, hopefully get it planted too, certainly get the rocks and logs in tonight. turtle goes in in... two weeks ish got to clean and cut sum pvc pipe to protect sum collard greens i plan on plnting whoot ill make sure and post pics whoot

#39 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

Didnt get around to posting pics, ill do it in the morning got the gravel for drainage, cave, a hill, and a ton of dirt in... ended up loosing allot more wall height than id thought (poor visulation on my part) but with the lid ill have about 12" from the top to bottom... might just have to shallow out sum spots to fit in plants tomorrow... went on and seeded the whole thing with grass and wateted it before bed, figured it wont hurt anything to get it growing, oh used spaghum peat moss mixed into the top layer of dirt for moisture and food for the worms... ill get the collard greens, hosta, and dadelions in tomorrow... maybe get sum sod cut to go around the water dish.... wish i knew what i know now when i started this project... coulda saved myself allot of greif ohh well thatll be for the next one haha

#40 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:18 AM

IMAG0052.jpg
franklin giving her aproval of the new table haha, id just moved it in my room
IMAG0053.jpg
i know my pictures are horrible.. my phone grr, but thats the mess filling up most of my room

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users