Snappy's belated birthday gift

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,471 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:44 PM

I think Snappy is going to be happy in her new 300 gallon basking tank. I wanted to get her somemthing extra for her 9th birthday other than the fresh smalt. So I got her this tank because her 110 gallon basking tank was getting too small. Can't wait to get it set up for her.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 AmyW

AmyW

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:43 AM

Nice! I'm sure she'll love it. :)

#3 turtlefanatic

turtlefanatic

my turtles = my family

• Members Plus
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:57 AM

What a great birthday present for your beautiful girl! I'm sure Snappy will enjoy the upgrade. We'll look forward to seeing pics when you have it all set up.

#4 Amanda1

Amanda1

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 4,731 posts
  • Interests:turtles, tortoises, horses, conservation, music, art.

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:18 AM

are you goig to fill it and make ramps? Love to see turtles getting so much attension. reminds me of someone I know :)

#5 Hypnosis

Hypnosis

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:too many to count.

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:11 AM

I got an idea. If you want to give her something else she would love I think a muddy bottom and floating plants would be appreciated. Though I'm sure you know more on this, than myself because you're like the expert on snappers. Anywho. With that being said you could also give her some salmon, or even those large lobsters they sell as food for people. Just give her a smaller portion of it or all of it and then not feed her for a while. Cause it's a pretty big lobster. But anywho.

You could make a ramp that leads to the outside world BUT only in an enclosed pen made of wood and prevent climbing and or digging ? like you could have the tub outside and dig a large hole covering the hole first with some mesh(so that dirt doesn't stick to the side of the container for when you wanna take it out. And like make a ramp so she can climb out on her own when she wants a walk on land. Make sure some areas on land are shaded. Pretty sure snappers would take opportunity to walk when given. Inspite of what people have said that they're completely 100% aquatic and only leaving to lay eggs.

Just some food for thought. or do something like what I said but indoors. But like the land area made out of wood and. Well think of a turtle table persay and that the watering hole is bigger still underground yet the land area leaving some space for her to take a stroll and completely bask outside.

I'm sure she's happy either way. I just wanted to share some of my ideas. Happy belated birthday snappy.

#6 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,471 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:58 AM

are you goig to fill it and make ramps? Love to see turtles getting so much attension. reminds me of someone I know :)

It's going to be used as a dry-dock basking pen. It will set a few feet from her 400 gallon live-in tank. I've made a 6-pulley hoist system to transport her between tanks that I am still improving. Will show pic's when I get it all set up.

#7 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:11 AM

I got an idea. If you want to give her something else she would love I think a muddy bottom and floating plants would be appreciated. Though I'm sure you know more on this, than myself because you're like the expert on snappers. Anywho. With that being said you could also give her some salmon, or even those large lobsters they sell as food for people. Just give her a smaller portion of it or all of it and then not feed her for a while. Cause it's a pretty big lobster. But anywho.

You could make a ramp that leads to the outside world BUT only in an enclosed pen made of wood and prevent climbing and or digging ? like you could have the tub outside and dig a large hole covering the hole first with some mesh(so that dirt doesn't stick to the side of the container for when you wanna take it out. And like make a ramp so she can climb out on her own when she wants a walk on land. Make sure some areas on land are shaded. Pretty sure snappers would take opportunity to walk when given. Inspite of what people have said that they're completely 100% aquatic and only leaving to lay eggs.

Just some food for thought. or do something like what I said but indoors. But like the land area made out of wood and. Well think of a turtle table persay and that the watering hole is bigger still underground yet the land area leaving some space for her to take a stroll and completely bask outside.

I'm sure she's happy either way. I just wanted to share some of my ideas. Happy belated birthday snappy.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, she would love to romp around in the mud and munch on floating plants. But, that would increase my filtering problems. I do take her out for walks in the back yard but not as often because she weighs so much and very difficult to transport. But she does love her basking dry dock pen. That's why I got her a big one so she can enjoy walking around more.

#8 AmyW

AmyW

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

Wow, the pulley-hoist system sounds very impressive! I can't wait to see the pics. :)

#9 Hypnosis

Hypnosis

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:too many to count.

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, she would love to romp around in the mud and munch on floating plants. But, that would increase my filtering problems. I do take her out for walks in the back yard but not as often because she weighs so much and very difficult to transport. But she does love her basking dry dock pen. That's why I got her a big one so she can enjoy walking around more.

Awe. That sucks. :( Good luck though.

#10 Erik

Erik

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:53 PM

Snappy is very well cared for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users