• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kailey Lane

Kailey Lane

New User

• Members Standard
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:49 PM

This is my first turtle,i saved him from a neglectful home in a 15 gallon tank.He is a Florida red belly,i have no idea how old,i would like to know.Im wondering his shell looks ok? In his previous home he had no uvb or veggies in his diet and came to me covered in algae because he had no dock.his nails also curl upward and he was only fed tortoise food before also.Anyway hes doing much better now! but since im new to this im wondering if his shell looks ok? here is the full album if you want to see more Beans photos
here some close up pics.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Engagechad

Engagechad

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Science, Herps, Atheism, Metal, Bodybuilding, Coffee, Beer Advocacy

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

Overall it looks okay just a bit battle worn. Feel for soft spots, but from what I can see it just looks crusty. Provide a basking spot with good light (uvb and heat), good water source and calcium and he should shape up in time, might take a while but it looks okay IMO.

#3 turtlefanatic

turtlefanatic

my turtles = my family

• Members Plus
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:53 PM

From your pictures, it looks like Beans has retained scutes as a consequence of not shedding properly. This is evident by the multiple rings around each scute. While this is normal in land turtles and tortoises, water turtles periodically shed entire scutes which results in a smoother appearance to the shell. The retained scutes are no doubt due to his not being able to bask. Now that you've provided him with a dock and UVB bulb, he should eventually shed all those old scutes; and his shell will look much better.

Beans also appears to have some irregularities in the shape of some of his scutes, but this is just an anomaly and nothing to be concerned about. It just makes him unique!

#4 Robin Ahrndt

Robin Ahrndt

New User

• Members Standard
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

My Cooter Slappy's shell looks a lot like this so I feel for you. I am always worried it doesn't look good but these replies are reassuring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users