4 replies to this topic

#1 BrianL

BrianL

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Video Games, Reading and spending time with my family

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:51 AM

Hello, we just got bought an ASN from petsmart for my little 4yr old Autistic son to watch as he is fascinated by turtles. I would like help in identifying which ASN type ours is. I know there are several under the ASN label. I appreciate all the help
Photos are to large for a direct upload so here is my flickr link http://www.flickr.co...tos/krizma2011/

Brian

#2 justatwinturbo

justatwinturbo

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:41 PM

That is actually more commonly known as an african helmeted, rather than african sideneck. Still a sideneck, just helps seperate the species accordingly, using common names. To be even more specific, you have a pelomedusa subrufa olivacea.

#3 BrianL

BrianL

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Video Games, Reading and spending time with my family

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:45 AM

Thanks for the ID, I appreciate it! I was thinking I had aPelusios castaneus, I guess thats what I get for thinking! Posted Image

#4 kmmsam

kmmsam

New User

• Members Standard
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

how can you tell them apart?!

#5 TurtleTamer

TurtleTamer

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

Pelusios has a hinged shell, meaning there is a definate hinge on the plastron that allows (or so I've read) the front half of the shell to close. Yours lacks the hinge so it's a pelomedusa. There are other differences I'm sure but I don't know them. Plus, there are so many subspecies you can spend all day on the computer and only end up with more questions. Google Images shows all kinds no matter what one you look up so don't trust that. Ask me how I know...

BTW BrianL cudos to you on doing that for your son. I find turtles downright therapudic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users