Cache Valley Bee Removal

Photo
- - - - -

Is it a good diet for a cumberland slider?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kaktusas

Kaktusas

• Members Standard
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

Hey there. I know, many of you think, "what a moron..." but am still going to ask:

Is my diet good enough for myturtle, to make him happy?

The diet: Ox (Beef) heart, 2 days pass, Carrot, 2 days pass, Feeder fish (Either guppies or Neons, homebreeded), 2 days pass, Lettuce (if he is not in the mood of lettuce, then carrot again), 2 days pass and repeat from the start.

Also i am going to give him BioWeyxin Multi-C-Mulgat vitamines, 2 drops every week. It contains (it says on the packet) (1 liter, 0.26 gallons):
Vit. A - 15 mln. TV,
Vit. E - 25000 mg,
Vit. C - 60000 mg,
Vit. B1 - 3000 mg,
Vit. B2 - 4000 mg
Vit. B6 - 3000 mg
Vit. B12 - 15000 mikro g
Vit. K1 - 1000 mg
L - Karnitin - 10 000 mg
Beta Karotin - 2000 mg
Biotin - 50 mg
Calcium Pantotenat - 20 000 mg
Nikotinamid - 24 000 mg
Cholin Chloride - 8000 mg

So... Thanks for the replies!

Andrius

Almost forgot about the weekly or bi-weekly shell rub with Vit D3 for babies :P

Also he is ~4 years old, cumberland slider.

#2 Cheloniphile

Cheloniphile

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

First and most important: You are not a "moron" for asking questions. In turtle keeping the old adage "the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask" holds very, very true because to do the wrong thing can cause harm or even death to our captive friends. So ask away, solicit opinions, evaluate, ask again, qualify, and make the best informed decision you can. Anyone who doesn't want to join the topic can just ignore it.

I have a strong personal bias against beef anything for turtle food, with a focus on the words "personal bias". I think: too fatty, too fibrous, too many hormones used in bulking up the cows for slaughter. I use scalded chicken - chicken breast cut small and dropped for a moment in boiling water, then chilled in tap water. Of course, a lot of chickens are fed hormones as well, specifically estrogen. Except for Purdue - I hear from a good source (Frank Purdue, himself) that his birds get rose petals.

I feed protein 3X weekly - Monday (chicken), Wednesday (chopped shrimp), Friday (chopped fish or feeder fish). There's always romaine lettuce floating for my painteds and maps. Every so often I drop in some shredded carrot or even some peas.

I've never given vitamin drops and look forward to following the responses to see what others think.

Again, I encourage you to take in all the variety of answers you'll get, ask more questions, and make your best decision.

Best,
Paul

#3 Cheloniphile

Cheloniphile

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

Oops, forgot about the shell rub. I'm not sure about the benefit of using a D3 product on the shell.

These are some uncited notes from a presentation I made a few years ago: The term “vitamin D” refers to multiple forms of the vitamin. Two forms are important for chelonian health: ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) and cholecalciferol (vitamin D3). Vitamin D2 is synthesized by plants and absorbed via digestion. Vitamin D3 is synthesized in the skin when it is exposed to ultraviolet-B (UVB) rays from sunlight. . I don't know that D3 applied directly to the skin of the carapace would be absorbed and be of benefit. We know that turtles synthesize D3 from UVB exposure but I don't know the mechanism for absorption synthesized D3 into the body functions of the turtle.

Most of us on the forum are, at best, quasi-scientific amateurs learning and following ever-changing best practies. There are a number of true biologists and herpetologists on the forum - Chris Hagen, aka "batagur", comes to mind and maybe he'll have some input on the subject.

I admire your diligence in analyzing and planning for your cumbie's diet and health. Keep us in the loop as you develop your methods and practices.

Thanks,
Paul

#4 Kaktusas

Kaktusas

• Members Standard
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

Thanks alot for your answer and advice,and i am waiting for more! In the meantime i though - if i am growing the feeder fish, so why shouldn't i grow the feeder plants? :) So i am going to grow Vallsineria spiralis at first as my first waterplant, which doesnt require much attention :) And i thought i could get my meat grinder and put in some meat (Let it be beef heart or chicken breast) then put in some boiled carrot, maybe lettuce and anything else thaht iwill think of to make an ultimate turtle meatloaf :P No gelatine needed for this though, so ill freeze the meatloaf and thaw when needed :) I would like some advices on what to add in the meatloaf:) Thanks

Andrius

#5 paul112

paul112

Long Term Keeper

• Members Plus
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

The diet: Ox (Beef) heart, 2 days pass, Carrot, 2 days pass, Feeder fish (Either guppies or Neons, homebreeded), 2 days pass, Lettuce (if he is not in the mood of lettuce, then carrot again), 2 days pass and repeat from the start.

For Sliders, I find a diet of 25% protein, 25% good commercial pellets, and 50% plant matter works well, although I offer this as a daily meal in one, rather than a different food every day.

For protein, I would stick to more natural parts of the diet, such as frozen prawns and shrimp, fish, mussels, earthworms and bloodworm. People do occasionally feed beef, but I prefer to stick to foods that mimic the natural diet.

For pellets, I've used Reptomin for many years and couldn't recommend it more. It seems to have a great blend of vitamins and minerals.

As for plant matter, carrot is good, but iceberg lettuce is mainly water, so use Romaine lettuce, and try and use elodea or anarcharis aquatic plants.

Also i am going to give him BioWeyxin Multi-C-Mulgat vitamines, 2 drops every week. It contains (it says on the packet) (1 liter, 0.26 gallons):
Vit. A - 15 mln. TV,
Vit. E - 25000 mg,
Vit. C - 60000 mg,
Vit. B1 - 3000 mg,
Vit. B2 - 4000 mg
Vit. B6 - 3000 mg
Vit. B12 - 15000 mikro g
Vit. K1 - 1000 mg
L - Karnitin - 10 000 mg
Beta Karotin - 2000 mg
Biotin - 50 mg
Calcium Pantotenat - 20 000 mg
Nikotinamid - 24 000 mg
Cholin Chloride - 8000 mg

So... Thanks for the replies!

Andrius

Almost forgot about the weekly or bi-weekly shell rub with Vit D3 for babies :P

Also he is ~4 years old, cumberland slider.

Is the multivitamin aimed at reptiles? If you want to add a supplement, try and get hold of a reptile-formulated multivitamin, designed for more carnivorous reptiles as opposed to herbivores. Skip the Vitamin D3 shell rub, that's not a good way to supplement. Are you supplementing D3 instead of using a UVB bulb?

Best,
Paul

#6 Kaktusas

Kaktusas

• Members Standard
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:41 AM

Hey there Paul,

Sorry for a late reply, was away for some time. The thing is, that my turtle was bought from a pet shop and i was feeding him pellets and dried shrimps ( Serra Raffy I, if i remember it right ), but after i gave him the ox heart, he refused to eat any fo the comercial dried or pellet foods. He Sniffs them, tries a bite, then spits it out and will not even look at it. So carrot and ox heart is the main thing he actually "likes" to eat. He doesnt realy like lettuce (i use romaine) he gets some bites and after 3-4 bites of it, he starts to spit it out and waits for some meat or carrots... Also i sometimes give fresh fish. So, pellet and dried shrimps diet doesnt work for him :/ And there are none of the reptomin products to buy in any of the petshops in my country :/

Also i didnt try giving him the frozen prawns or shrimps, because they are kinda expensive in my local shop, and WHO THE HELL KNOWS HOW WERE THE PRAWNS GROWN OR WHAT WERE THEY FED!
So i am very aware of what quality food i am feeding as there were some incidents with fishes, where people were poisioned because teh fish was bad or it was fed with something bad... So ill try to stick to the food, which i know was grown good. Also about the earthworms, many wouldnt recomend to buy them from the Fishing shop for known reasons... Another thing, my grandfather has a compost in his yard, would earthworms from there be good enough for a turtle? Also why do you think, that Vallisneria Spiralis isnt good enough for turtle? I thought about the anarcharis or elodea, but do they require different settings than Vallisneria ?

And about the vits, it is suitable for reptiles and water turtles :) so i guess it suits my turt.

Andrius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users