2012 Turtle Times Community Calendar Announced

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tyler M.

Tyler M.

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Global Moderators
  • 2,371 posts
  • Interests:I grew interested in turtles when I was a kid living close to the everglades. I have kept turtles ever since.
    I work with computers, and enjoy the simplicity and purpose my turtles bring in a life that is all too much haste!

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:08 AM

The calendars are ready. You can get them at CafePress using this link: Turtle Times Cafe Press Stuff

Congrats to everyone who participated it was a lot of fun. There were a lot of GREAT pictures!

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 samsmom

samsmom

Turtle Gardener

• Members Plus
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, bicycling
    Box turtles

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for all the hard work, Tyler! There is a great variety of species this year.

#3 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,360 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

What a beautiful calendar! Congratulations to all the winners!

May I take a moment to give some background on the May turtle (Common Snapping turtle) for those of you tha may not know her background and can appreciate the photo even more. "Sheila Schnapper" was found on the road as a half-dead, severely dehydrated hatchling the spring of 2008 (she must have overwintered in the egg). We didn't think she would make it but with several weeks of TLC and good food, it wasn't long before she would start snapping for more food when she saw us approach her tank....she thrived....It was determined she was a female for sure about a year ago and she started to grow quickly and we knew the time would come to either find her a good home with lots of room or release her. We have good friends that have a farm in a neighboring state that has private ponds which are inhabited by snappers, one female each year coming up to their garden to lay eggs. We asked if we could release Sheila there and they were more than happy to oblige. On June 16th of this year she was packed up and driven to their farm and released into the largest pond. She swam out a bit, stopped, lifted her head out of the water, turned around, swam back some, lifted her head out as if to say "Goodbye and thank you," spun around and quickly disappeared down into the pond. My husband said his eyes misted at that and we would all miss her after raising her from that crusted, dried out snapper to a small dinner plate size healthy, robust snapper.

The photo in the calendar was taken of her the morning of her release, June 16, 2011. Enjoy and thanks for voting for that photo!

#4 Parkeri1313

Parkeri1313

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 750 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

looks great! cannot wait to get one.

#5 texsara

texsara

• Members Standard
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:1 Box Turtle baby,2 Red-eared sliders,4 Tortoises,3 Cats,1 Dog(Shih Tzu),5 Parakeets

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

Is there anywhere we can see all the entries? It may have already been posted..have been so busy lately so I could have missed it. The calender pics are beautiful! So happy to hear about the snapping turtle happy story too!

#6 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,360 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

I put this calendar up today at work in my office and it looks really nice - great calendar (thanks Tyler!) and congratulations to the winners - there were many great photos this year and it was hard to choose...

#7 i love chelonians

i love chelonians

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:turtles, tortoises, terrapins, basically all chelonians

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

i think i will get one, I'll have to wait till the beginning of next month so i can get my allowance though:( i can't wait!
the story about Sheila is so sweet:)

#8 J LaCroix

J LaCroix

New User

• Members Standard
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Wow, my entry is one of the ones on the calendar. Thank you so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users