• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Baller77

Baller77

Turtelman77

• Members Plus
  • 684 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:52 PM

I just wanted to know if you can keep one spotted turtle in a 20 gallon long tank. I read that spotted turtles grow 3 to 5 inches.
I was interested in getting a hatchling.

#2 Cheloniphile

Cheloniphile

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

a 20L would be fine for a 1 to 4 or even 5 hatchlings. You're looking at roughly 360 square inches of footprint and only about 1 square inch of turtle for a spotted hatchling. They don't grow too rapidly - not like a snapping turtle for example - so it would be OK for a while. Spotteds, as you know, are not strong swimmers and are fairly sessile when in the water but they will still need relatively shallow water, vertical climbing and resting plants or driftwood, and a basking platform.

I'll try to get some photos of my hatchling tank tomorrow - a 20L with a raised "floor" and a small cannister filter system, currently housing 3 hatchling musks, 2 hatchling red belly cooters, and 1 hatchling northern map. At this point, plenty of room and easy maintenance because of the undergravel plenum and filtration. Within the next 6 months or so I will expect them to outgrow the population / volume dynamic - especially the cooters which are very fast growing turtles.

Paul (Cheloniphile)

Edited by Cheloniphile, 11 December 2011 - 08:54 PM.

#3 Sarahlei325

Sarahlei325

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Just out of curiousity...do you house all your hatchlings of different kinds together?

#4 Baller77

Baller77

Turtelman77

• Members Plus
  • 684 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:30 AM

Hi. I am currently keeping my three month old hatchling in a twenty gallon high tank. I just wanted to know if a twenty gallon high tank is large enough for a spotted turtle or a pair of them and does anyone else keep their turtles in a twenty gallon high tank?

#5 Sarahlei325

Sarahlei325

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

I would probably keep an eye out for a larger tank. I keep my male adult spotted in a 55 gallon right now. I've got another spotted hatchling and when she gets larger I'm going to put them together in probably a 75 gallon or larger. I'm trying to start a breeding group eventually though.... a 20 gallon will be too cramped for an adult spotted in my opinion.

I keep my hatchling in a 20 long tank though, so I think for the time being your doing great! Just start thinking ahead and preparing for an upgrade over the next year.

Here is a picture of my tank (I'm a photo person, they always help me!)

Posted Image

#6 Baller77

Baller77

Turtelman77

• Members Plus
  • 684 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

Hi. I have set a limit for tank size due to a small space. My limit right now is a twenty gallons. I have also set a limit for number of turtles. Right now my hatchling seems to be doing well in the 20 gallon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Spotted Turtles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users