Wood turtles hibernating hibernaculum

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 portsample

portsample

• Members Standard
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:27 AM

Below is a link to a webcam showing my (3) hibernating NAWTs. They are in a 200 gallon agricultural tote that has 6 inches of water in the bottom. The male is separated in a 10 gallon tank in the middle. The water temperature has stayed between 39F and 46F over the last month, (...mostly 41-42 degrees). They've been "in" since November 8. If all goes well I plan on bringing them back up to temperature in early February.
Next winter we'll do five months.

http://www.blepsias.net/temp/nawt.html

Edited by portsample, 12 December 2011 - 12:56 AM.

#2 Baller77

Baller77

Turtelman77

• Members Plus
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:39 AM

nice idea

#3 portsample

portsample

• Members Standard
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

Five days until wake-up for these guys.
I can't wait to take measurements and weights. They look like their shells have gotten bigger, but how is that possible if they have not eaten in three months?

Edited by portsample, 04 February 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#4 portsample

portsample

• Members Standard
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

...bump.

www.blepsias.net/temp/nawt.html

#5 DonStephens

DonStephens

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Turtles (particularly pond/woods), Nature in general, Bamboo and other growies, Low-cost/Energy-smart/Eco-building technologies, Life and People

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hi, "Port",

Nice tub...I've been looking for something like it in the 50 - 200gal range, in white, or even better, in semi-see-thru "milk-jug" white.  Any suggestions on where to look?

Did you buy it locally at a local farm store or over the web?  Any suggested web-links for these?

I winter mine in a bit deeper water..about 8"...and airate the water with an in-tank filter/pump unit,  I feel this gives them more in-water O2, such as they'd get inn a flowing stream.   I keep them at 40 - 45*.

As to your growth question, well-fed woodies have instinctively taken on extra food in the fall, not only to get them through the winter but also, to allow continued winter growth...bigger in the spring means better survivability (against predators) and sooner reaching sexual maturity, to pass on the species and it's precious genes... : )

- Don (turtle hobbist/observer since 1944

#6 portsample

portsample

• Members Standard
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

Any suggestions on where to look?

Did you buy it locally at a local farm store or over the web?  Any suggested web-links for these?

Here's a link:

http://www.ak-westin...ry=3&Itemid=133

Try a local feed supply store, marine hardware store as well as possibly Craigslist. Good luck.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wood turtles, hibernating, hibernaculum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users