Bearded dragon advice needed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pi's_Human

Pi's_Human

Should vegetarians eat animal crackers?

• Members Plus
  • 773 posts
  • Interests:Jazzy, my seven year old RES, and always working to improve her quality of living.

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

I have been a turtle keeper for about seven years now, but have decided to expand my family to include a lizard, and have decided upon a bearded dragon.

I have a 90 gallon tank that I got several years ago that hasn't been used for anything, and this is where I want to set up my new bearded dragon habitat. I am in no hurry to get this set up, as I want to make sure I do my research and have the optimum habitat for my new friend before I bring it home.

I found this care sheet, but don't know how accurate this is, or if it's accurate at all.
http://www.beardeddr...resheet/?page=1

I understand that I need a screen top to allow proper air circulation, a basking area that is 6-8 inches from the heat source and reaches 110 degrees for babies and 95 degrees for juveniles to adults. I also believe that a 85 degree cool area is also recommended. Beyond this I really have no knowledge of how to care for them and would like any and all advice as to the proper handling before I get one. I don't plan on getting one for at least another month, maybe more, I will get all of the necessary heaters, bulbs (including night and day time cycle), basking platform, etc. well before I actually bring one home.

So what I would like is some exact specifications from experienced keepers as to what type and placements of bulbs, heat sources, feed type and feeding areas, basking areas...whatever you think will help me successfully provide the care that my new addition will need. Also any advice on dietary concerns, feeding schedules, etc. is greatly appreciated.

I have also read that bearded dragons smaller than six inches have a lower survival rate due to stress and what have you. Is this true? My local pet store only sells very small ones, around an inch and a half in size.

Thanks for any help you can offer me.

#2 Pi's_Human

Pi's_Human

Should vegetarians eat animal crackers?

• Members Plus
  • 773 posts
  • Interests:Jazzy, my seven year old RES, and always working to improve her quality of living.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

There are no Bearded Dragon enthusiasts here who can lend me some advice? I've found other references but really would prefer that someone here offers up some help, as I think this is the best resource I have found to date. [:help]

#3 Pebbles

Pebbles

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

I have a six year old bearded dragon named Zeke. He's a great pet! We first got him from a kid who was leaving for college and had to get rid of him. I'd never had a bearded dragon before, but read everything i could get my hand on about them and brought him home. He's been with us for five years now and he's doing great. He has such a personality! Something I never thought i would say before i got a reptile. He's very docile, he's never tried to bite even once.

I'm not an expert or anything, i've just learned from what i've read. What i'd recommend is that you get a reliable book on bearded dragons and just read up on them. From what i've learned also, you might want to get an adult bearded dragon as your first dragon because they are easier for a newbie to handle and raise.

I'll try to attach a photo or two of Zeke..not sure if i know how. He's my handsome little man.

Erin

Tried to attach a photo..couldn't...said the file was too big.

#4 craniomom1

craniomom1

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

I have had an adult Beardie from 2000-2006 when I did have to rehome him because my husband had passed.And right now I have a 5 inch little Beardie.I can share what I have been doing for little Leonard.He is in a 20L with reptile carpet as sand and other subtrates can cause impactions in Beardies.Though with y adualt back in 2000 he did have sand with no problems.Leonard has 10.0 UVB,100 watt daylight for basking I also had the black light for at night as his tank tends to dip a little too low for my liking.I have a small water dish,don't need to big of one as they get most of their water from baths,their vegetables plus having too big of water dish will raise the humidity which should be no higher than 33%.
I feed my baby Beardie dandielion greens,kale,crickets(dusted w/ cal. m-f,multi-vit sat-sun),waxworms,stage 1 baby food.And starting in Jan. I will be ordering for both the Beardie and my EBT silkies,hornworms,butterworms and supers.

Martha mom to:
1.0.0. EBT-Cooper
1.0.0. Beardie-Leonard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users