Cache Valley Bee Removal

Photo
- - - - -

Please help me, I just got this new turtle !

map turtle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Soon

Soon

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:14 AM

I just bought this new baby turtle. I am not sure yet what kind of map it is but i am pretty sure it is a Ouachita map turtle.. and its shell has been starting to show some white areas. not sure if its shedding or shell rot or fungal infection. I have never seen a turtle shed so i am not very experienced. Please help me out ! really wanted a map turtle for a long time and its hard to find where i live. Thank you !!!

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen shot 2012-01-04 at 12.14.20 AM.png

#2 Cheloniphile

Cheloniphile

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 285 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hi, Soon. Can't be certain just from a photo, but it doesn't look like shedding to me - it looks more like an abrasion that has the very beginning of fungus growing. This kind of abrasion can be very common in tanks that have "caves" made up of stacked stones or brick, especially paving stones that are made to have a rough surface. High keeled turtles like maps can scrape against the stones while trying to crawl under or through the caves.

If it were one of my turtles, I would remove him to a small "medicinal" tank, i.e. a plastic "shoebox", brush the abrasion lightly with a soft toothbrush, and apply a 50/50 solution of povidone and saline followed by a 2-hour drydock 2x daily. If this is an infected abrasion, fungus and bacteria will die off within a few days, so I would plan on 4 to 6 days of treatment.

When he's back in his own tank I would make sure that his water is very clean - well cycled as far as the ammonia --> nitrite --> nitrate cycle goes, and no uneaten food. Basking time is important and 88 to 92 degrees f (31 - 33.5 c) basking temperature with easy access to water should he overheat.

If this is cutaneous (skin) infection, it would seem it is in the very early stages and no more serious than a cut or scrape on a child. The danger is if the infection spreads to other minor scrapes on the shell or grows deep into the bone and spreads internally via the circulatory system, causing septicemia. From what I can see on the keel, it is highly unlikely that it will spread if you treat the current level of infection.

Good that you spotted the situation and are looking to deal with it.

Keep us posted.

Paul (Cheloniphile)

Edited by Cheloniphile, 03 January 2012 - 11:04 AM.

#3 Cheloniphile

Cheloniphile

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 285 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

I am not sure yet what kind of map it is but i am pretty sure it is a Ouachita map turtle

If you take some more photos of your turtle, I'm sure there are plenty of folk on the forum who can help you ID which species of Map it is. I'd suggest a clear shot of the side of his head, a full carapace and a full plastron shot.

I only keep Northern Maps (G. geographica) although I have keep Mississippis (G.kohnii) in the past.

Paul (Cheloniphile)

#4 Soon

Soon

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:08 AM

Thanks for the help but i dont know where to get the providone or saline :/ can i get it in a pet shop or smthin ? I live in hong kong so its quite hard to understand anything they sell... they try to sell anything they can. I bought some product that apprently can treat any type of disease .... so i don't rlly trust pet shops here :/

#5 Cheloniphile

Cheloniphile

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:25 AM

Soon, hi -

Povidone is an antiseptic liquid used for mild abrasions and small cuts in humans. it is sold in pharmacies such as Watsons or Mannings in Hong Kong. It is very much like iodine and actually contains iodine but in a smaller amount than conventional iodine solutions. Povidone is sold in pharmacies, usually in the first aid section. In many countries it is sold as a powder as well as a liquid - the liquid is much easier to use for turtles.

Sterile saline solution is also sold in pharmacies and is usually packaged as a rinse for eyes and contact lenses. You could make your own saline solution by adding 3 teaspoons (15 grams) of table salt to 8 ounces (250 ml) of boiling water and letting it cool.

It has been a week since you posted your photo. Has the situation improved any?

Paul (Cheloniphile)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: map turtle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users