• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Halbarad-Turtle

Halbarad-Turtle

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Havnt been on the forum as a poster much, but ive lurked for a while.

I recently got a hatchling CST and it has been shedding this way since i put him in his home.

Hes "healthy" and active and is always responsive.

Eats 2 large crickets (gutloaded) in the morning as well as 4 baby turtle pellets from Tetra

Every other day he gets 2 small snails as well.

He has some feeder minnows and one dissapears every 4 days or so.

Additionally he loves to eat ghost shrimp. Their is always a healthy supply of these in his tank as well as the minnows (usually 10-12 ghost and 3-4 minnows)

Any ideas what could be wrong with him? I have other photos, including some close ups, but im at my "max" for this post.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 396.jpg

#2 theturtlelover

theturtlelover

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

i have a CST that is about 1 year old. eats everything i give him, has good diet, activly healthy, and he sheds the same way. im srry i cant help you with diagnosing (sp?) it. but im just leting u know that ur not the only one out there that has a CST that has that problem.

#3 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,466 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:35 AM

I would say that's pretty normal. Snappers don't shed their scutes like basking turtles, it's more of a skin type thing with their shell as you show in the pic. He seems to be eating good. Keep his water clean and check the water chemistry, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate every week or so to see if that isn't the cause. After the tank has cycled the ammonia and nitrite should be zero and never let the nitrate get over 40ppm(below 20ppm is better) and you should be ok.

#4 Halbarad-Turtle

Halbarad-Turtle

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

So George has been doing well since i got him last November, but now his shell appears to be getting grey in color. Any idea if this is normal?

http://s1208.photobu...361/TurtleDrag/

#5 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,466 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

It's normal. Many times a snappers shell will turn from just about black to a nice lighter color as they grow older. Your lucky because your snapper has a beautiful light colored shell. Take a look at my snapper in the pic, same thing. Snapper shells will look darker as their shells dry when their out of the water and look lighter as they get wet.
http://s11.photobuck...rrent=071-2.jpg
http://s11.photobuck...rrent=069-1.jpg

Edited by CLAWS, 11 August 2012 - 12:06 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shedding, snapping turtle, weird, cst

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users