Cache Valley Bee Removal

Photo
- - - - -

how large of an indoor enclosure do you need for one of two subadult to adult North American wood turtles

North American Wood Turtles

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Baller77

Baller77

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 666 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:53 PM

I currently have seven north american wood turtles and keep them in two 40 gallon tanks. I only have three five inch subadult wood turtles who are rapidly growing and keep them in one 40 gallon tank. I know that they will eventually outgrow it. I keep the smaller wood turtles in the other tank. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what the minimal size enclosure that one subadult wood turtle should have. I also was wondering is a smaller species such as a pancake tortoise would be more suitable considering the size of my enclosures.

#2 Cheloniphile

Cheloniphile

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

It's all about the footprint, more especially so for land turtles. A 40 gallon long is 4 x 1 feet = 4 Square feet. I would think that's adequate for one or maybe two 5-inch sub-adult woodies. I think an optimum size would be 4 square feet for each turtle - that would be an encousure about 3 1/2 feet on a side - so that's not a tank. Probably a custom built enclosure. Smaller would work - a 48 x 25 inch enclosure would be just under 8 1/2 sq ft - probably OK for now but it would become crowded as they continue to grow.

The bookshelf with a liner idea you had in last October would not be a bad dimension for creating a habitat for 3 sub-adults. That was in the "Humper the woof turtle" thread. Again, that's about 9 sq ft, 3 for each turtle.

Just a heads up - I sent a message to your personal messenger on the forum reagarding your classified.

Paul (Cheloniphile)

#3 Baller77

Baller77

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 666 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

what about a 44 gal holiday tree storage box
its measurements are 52 5/16" W x 20 5/16" L x 14 5/6" H
would this work for the three sub adult wood turtles.

I read you personal message and sorry I sold the two smaller wood turtles today.

#4 Cheloniphile

Cheloniphile

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

Your dimensions would enclose just under 7 1/2 sq ft. Height isn't a factor as long as they can't crawl out. Probably workable for a while for sub-adults. Definitely better than the 4 sq ft provided by a 40 gallon long tank. Good for you that you moved the woodies - I'm not so sure I could have made the space for them, but I was intrigued.

Paul (Cheloniphile)

#5 Baller77

Baller77

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 666 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

How many turtles do you have and how big are your indoor enclosures.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: North American Wood Turtles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users