- - - - -

Questions about RES care

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 texsara

texsara

• Members Standard
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:1 Box Turtle baby,2 Red-eared sliders,4 Tortoises,3 Cats,1 Dog(Shih Tzu),5 Parakeets

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hi. So I have had my first RES baby (green tea) for just a few months & it's wonderful and I have read everything I can but still have a few questions if anyone could answer I'd appreciate it.
First one is..
When you change their water do you need to put those pH balance tabs in there as you do with fish? I know you have to put the turtle water conditioner,which i do,but is that good enough?
Also, does anyone feed their RES those dried mealworms or dried crickets? I have given both to mine and he loves them,but don't know if it's good for him or not. I bought them for snacks for my box turtles, but right now they are hibernating,so I thought I'd let him try it. He eats the Reptomin baby pellets,and I give him other things too,chicken & once in a while a little piece of shrimp,and he like collard greens & green-leaf lettuce sometimes too.He has not refused much food..I think I will slow him down on that some. But he is really active & eats out of our hands,and he's TURTELY AWESOME & ADORABLE! ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• green tea & leopard tortoise 008.jpg

#2 bleecker

bleecker

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Carpenter by trade, animals, music, bass player.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

I don't think you need the ph balance tabs... Use the dechlorinater and you should be alright.
I'm not positive, but I think the dried worms and crickets are ok.
Turtely awesome!! haha

#3 texsara

texsara

• Members Standard
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:1 Box Turtle baby,2 Red-eared sliders,4 Tortoises,3 Cats,1 Dog(Shih Tzu),5 Parakeets

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

I don't think you need the ph balance tabs... Use the dechlorinater and you should be alright.
I'm not positive, but I think the dried worms and crickets are ok.
Turtely awesome!! haha

Thanks for the reply! Thats good,because he sure likes them...
but I'll just give them to him once in a while for a snack. :)

#4 Joel Browne

Joel Browne

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

I've been told that dried crickets contain nothing that is of any benefit to your pet.

#5 bleecker

bleecker

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Carpenter by trade, animals, music, bass player.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:50 AM

I've been told that dried crickets contain nothing that is of any benefit to your pet.

That is probable true. Quality pellets have all the nutrition turtles need. Add some veggies and some live food(worms, mealworms, fish) and good uvb, and your all set.

#6 Nicky Johnson

Nicky Johnson

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

I have RES and I don't do anything to the water. They have straight up tap water with no conditioner or anything. I sometimes feed dried mealworms and crickets to them but they shouldn't be the staple diet. I feed them as a treat. Live ones are better but I still feed mostly veggies and then a bit of other things too.

#7 Donna Bush

Donna Bush

New User

• Members Standard
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

I have a question i have RES and i am feeding him omega one turtle pellets i am not sure how much to feed him or when to feed him this is the forst turtle i have ever had and he/she like me so much he sleeps in my hand....

#8 Nicky Johnson

Nicky Johnson

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

I have a question i have RES and i am feeding him omega one turtle pellets i am not sure how much to feed him or when to feed him this is the forst turtle i have ever had and he/she like me so much he sleeps in my hand....

How old is your RES/what is it's size? I fed my RES every day up until they were about 1 year old then switched to every other day. The amount will depend on the size- I think there is a general saying feed as much as would fit in the size of its head. I think the stomach is a similar size to its head. You should try to feed not just the pellets. There is some good information on these forums about a good diet for the RES- have a look at some other posts.

#9 texsara

texsara

• Members Standard
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

I feed mine a little through out the day of different things. Pellets,mealworms,crickets,and for special treat I give
him a little talapia fish or shrimp when I have some in the freezer. He goes nuts for that! ;) but only once in a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users