• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ambi

Ambi

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

I am rehabing a juvenile three-toed boxie that our dog attacked in the backyard in early October. She is recovering really well. Unfortunately, for the past several months, since her injury, all I could get her to eat was live food - several varieties of worms and bugs. I put out a variety of fruits and vegetables every day, but she always ignored them. So last night, I whipped up my first batch of turtle pudding (sometimes called turtle jello shots) using a bit of chicken, tiny shrimp, dandelion, clover, rye grass, carrots, sweet potato, strawberry, blueberry, egg, banana, bell pepper, dark salad greens, calcium powder, and cod liver oil. I added two packets of gelatin, and let it set up in ice cube trays. This morning, I added a small chunk of it to her water dish while she soaked, and SUCCESS! She chowed down on the turtle pudding! She was mostly interested in the shrimp, but she definitely got some veggie nutrition in there as well. I am over the moon excited to see her eat something other than worms. I was so pessimistic about this working. I was sure that I would go to all the trouble and then find out that she wasn't interested. However, the very first time I put it in her bowl, she attacked! I think we are going to be feeding her a lot of turtle pudding in the future!

For anyone whose turtles won't touch fruits of veggies, I highly recommend trying turtle pudding. There are a ton of recipes on these boards and on the internet. I used what I had available, and I froze the excess. I didn't use any tuna fish or tuna water because I didn't have any on hand (I did have a can of tiny salad shrimp, so I used that), but I've heard that the tuna smell makes it even more appetizing for your turtle.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the excitement- I could do a happy dance right now, I am so pleased that my turtle FINALLY ate some veggies!

#2 Sampras&DrCornwallis

Sampras&DrCornwallis

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Games, films, Star Trek, my two turtles (whose full names are Sampras Lucius Geldoff Meehan IV and Dr Cornwallis Meehan) and Total War. Huzah!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:31 AM

Wow, this is the first time I've heard about turtle pudding! I'll have to try it out as one of my sliders is incredibly picky.

One thing however. How do you actually feed it to the turtles? Ok so its frozen, you pull it out of the freezer, defrost it I assume and put it where? I feed my turts in the cage, so should I put it on the basking area, should I get a dish for food and put that on the basking area, or should I feed them outside of the cage completely?

#3 Ambi

Ambi

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

Turtle pudding has COMPLETELY changed my box turtle's eating habits! She used to only be interested in live food. Then, after I started feeding her the turtle pudding, she started to become curious about other foods, too. Now, she'll take a bite of anything I feed her. She has gobbled up banana and grape, as well as a lot of the turle pudding!

My turtle really likes to eat in her water dish, so I just put the little chunk of thawed pudding in the dish and she eats it there. It is definitely messy, so I wouldn't recommend that you feed it in her cage, unless you can keep it confined to the water dish or food dish, which can easily be washed.

I can't say enough good things about turtle pudding. I know it isn't a magic solution for everyone, but for me it really worked!

#4 Ambi

Ambi

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

For anyone who would like to try making turtle pudding, I highly recommend that you look around these forums for some recipes. There are several good ones. My "recipe" was basically to just put any and every fruit and vegetable I had in the food processor and mince it up really tiny. Then added protein, in the form of a boiled egg, some cooked chicken, and one drained can of tiny shrimp (salad shrimp). I also blended up a big handful of dandelion, clover, and dark salad greens. To entice my turtle to eat the pudding, I probably used more protein and sweet stuff (banana and strawberry) than I normally would use. Next time I'll add more vegetables instead. Then I dissolved two packets of unflavored gelatin in a little bit of hot water and mixed it with the food. Finally, I stirred in a heaping scoop of calcium supplement and the liquid from one gelcap of pure cod liver oil. Then I mixed it all well and put it in ice cube trays to set up in the fridge. I ultimately had about two trays worth, so I froze most of it. The whole process took less than half an hour and has provided my little boxie with lots of nutritious (and apparently pretty tasty) food. I only give her a little chunk of it at a time (less than a quarter of the cube). I get so excited every time I see her attack the pudding! I actually can't wait to make the next batch.

#5 Nafeesa Johnson

Nafeesa Johnson

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

i have a picky eatter too,only hard boiled eggs and worms,so im gonna try it. THANKS FOR SHARING THIS

#6 Nafeesa Johnson

Nafeesa Johnson

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

i have a picky eatter too,only hard boiled eggs and worms,so im gonna try it. THANKS FOR SHARING THIS

I COULDNT FIND THE RECIPE,CAN U SEND ME THE LINK WHERE YOU GOT IT FROM PLEASE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users