• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris N.

Chris N.

New User

• Members Standard
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

I was cleaning my turtle tank and saw these little black worms on their rocks.
I don't know what they are or if the anti-parasite pellets would get rid of them?
The turtles are yellow bellie sliders.
Please, if you know what they are and if I can treat them with home remedies or need to take them to the vet???

Thanks.

LOL....I meant to spell it Urgent....my bad...

Edited by Chris N., 13 March 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#2 turtlefanatic

turtlefanatic

my turtles = my family

• Members Plus
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

What you've described doesn't sound like an intestinal parasite from your turtles. Rather, they may have come in with rocks, plants, or live food. Not sure exactly what they are...possibly some kind of insect larva. Try draining and cleaning the tank and disassembling and cleaning all your filter parts.

I'd strongly advise against treating your turtles with home remedies; they may do more harm than good. If you want to have them checked for parasites, you'll need to take them to the vet along with a fecal sample. Be sure, though, that the vet is experienced with treating turtles. Medications and dosages for turtles differ from those given to dogs and cats.

#3 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,380 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:20 AM

If these worms are moving and are attaching to the corners of the tank, float around, etc., they are, from my experience, some sort of fly larvae - I had similar occur in my snapper tank and had black moving worms appear and when not floating in the water would attach to the sides of the tank, crawl up the corners, etc. Turtle internal parasites are not black but usually whitish, greyish or even pinkish in color, depending on the parasite. What you have is larvae - thoroughly clean everything in your tank and filter.

#4 Chris N.

Chris N.

New User

• Members Standard
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

Thank you for answering my message [:roll] so quickly.
I am relieved to hear that it isn't anything with the turtles. I hadn't cleaned my tank in a few days and I did so thoroughly yesterday.

Sorry, I mean by home remedies by going to petsmart for anti-parasitic medicine and pellets. The Store associate hooked us up with some water anti-parasite powder and pellets for just in case they had something.
I made some calls and found a Vets office that does treat turtles , so if they end up with anything than I know where to take them.

I haven't put anything from the outdoors in my tank and I treat my turtles with food pellets we get from Petsmart. I am very picky about what goes in my babies tank. I don't want them getting sick.

Thank you both very much. I am very relieved to hear all you said.
[flowers]

Okay, I thought so cause I did some searches and couldn't find anything but white worm parasites in turtles. So, that's a relief that it isn't from them.

#5 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,380 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:07 AM

Sales associates from pet stores will tell you anything to make sales. The over the counter items are so low in anything that is beneficial to a turtle to remove parasites or infections that it is a total waste of money. Those items are convenience items and usually do not work. With today's internet and all the information available, before going to a pet store and asking a sales associate questions about worms in a tank, go online to one of the major turtle forums/sites (like this) and ask questions. You can save a lot of time and money that way, and get much better advice.

If your tank cleaning does not get rid of these worms/larvae that you are seeing, you have an insect source in that room or the worms are coming from your turtle (note - worms from a turtle will die in a very short time in the tank and not attach to anything (will float around only if disturbed by moving water or the turtle) and remain on the bottom - insect larvae will float around, attach to something, attach in corners or stay at the top water level and live beyond several hours. A thorough cleaning of the tank and all its contents is what is needed at first. Keep us informed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users