• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 THREEStripedMAMA

THREEStripedMAMA

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

I am trying to set up my new ZooMed 501 filter.. I have read the directions and thought I was setting it up correctly. But when I installed the tubes in the tank and plugged in the fliter.. some water flowed but then stopped and then started making a scratchy sound? What am I doing wrong? Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I have the filter off now bc I do not want to further damage it.. Thanks!!

#2 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,470 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:51 AM

Hi,
Sounds like you have an air-lock causing the impeller to make that sound. You probably have your water in the tank 4" or more below the top causing a big air gap in the inlet hose. What you need to do is open up your filter and hand fill it to the top, then fill the entire inlet hose from the waterline to the filter, then turn it on. That should get it up and running.

#3 THREEStripedMAMA

THREEStripedMAMA

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 309 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

Thank you! Yes, thats exactly what happened. I added more water to the filter and it started working :) Thanks again!

#4 kozysnacker

kozysnacker

New User

• Members Standard
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

Hi,
Sounds like you have an air-lock causing the impeller to make that sound. You probably have your water in the tank 4" or more below the top causing a big air gap in the inlet hose. What you need to do is open up your filter and hand fill it to the top, then fill the entire inlet hose from the waterline to the filter, then turn it on. That should get it up and running.

I recently purchased the Zoo Med 511 for my 10 gallon tank and have faced the similar issue, if not worse. It has ran pretty much nonstop for four days and the "clicking" hasn't yet stopped. It seems to be the air issue, and I've double checked all hose connections.

When you say "fill the entire inlet hose from the waterline to the filter", do you mean that I need to fill the hose with water on the inside? Or do you mean that I need to add more water to the tank to cover the hose on the outside?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm quite new at this and would really like to have the filter up and running soon.

Thanks.

Edited by kozysnacker, 04 May 2012 - 11:18 PM.

#5 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,470 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

Hi,
No, great question. Getting the filter to run properly in most turtle tanks is sometimes difficult. The reason is that the waterline in most turtle tanks is very low in the tank. This causes a large amount of air in the inlet hose. When you try to start the filter it just sucks air and makes all kind of noises. That's why I suggest to fill the internal part of the hose with water and fill the entire filter as well before you plug it in.

If you still need more help start a thread of your own and will be glad to help you answer any questions you have. Welcome to TT, glad you came aboard.

#6 kozysnacker

kozysnacker

New User

• Members Standard
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

Wow, I followed your tip and it worked instantly! It's very exciting to see it finally running after so much frustration. Thanks very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users