• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Donna Bush

Donna Bush

New User

• Members Standard
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

So i found a baby Red-eard slider...well my bf did and he siad there were eggs were ha found it like it just hatched...so i came to take it home i am new to turtles and everything i went to pet co i got some water conditioner omega one pellets and a round aquiram ....i found a nice rock outside for he/she to sit on i dont have a heat lamp so i use the one in the bath room at night sometime but most of the time i just put squirt in the kitchen sink with lettus for it to eat and at night i put itin the bath tub with nice clean water and then the other side a towel so it can sleep on something dry....i like the turtle and i know it likes me since it will sleep in my hand(so frekking cute by the way) but i want to know if i am doing anything worng....oh and since i am a smoker i go out side and let it roam and be free every now and then please i need so advice on what to do for my lil squirt....

ps. i have not seen him eat at all and he hate`s the light and its werid its late march and i was reading on hybernating do you think he is trying to hybernat every time i try to put him in the light to bask he run like hell to find darkness

Edited by Donna Bush, 27 March 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#2 TurtleDean

TurtleDean

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:3 toed Box Turtles
    Gamera(F)mom
    Pugsley(M)dad
    Lumpy(M)

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

It doesn't sound like you are equipped to house a turtle, you need a uvb light and do not feed it lettuce, he will slowly die if you do not feed him properly and give him uvb light. He will grow to at least a foot in length very quickly, you can put him back where you found him and he will survive, but if you keep him for say a year he will likely not be able to fend for himself in the wild.There is information and caresheets in this forum. I'm sure you don't want to just watch him die slowly or have to let him go because he is too big. I suggest putting him back.

#3 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,470 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

Their so cute, especially when their small. With the proper setup your little guy should do ok. About the most important thing besides food is water temperature. You should purchase a 100 watt submersible water heater and set it on 80F. This will keep his immune system running on high and get him to eat and digest his food properly. Lights out at nite just like in nature. You can start out with a 10 or better yet a 20 gallon tank, just to get used to taking care of a turtle. Keep the water at first around 6-8" deep with some floating plastic plants so your turtle can sleep and rest in. He should sleep in the warm water not on the dock at night.

Light can be set on a timer for 12 hours on, 12 hour off. Both heat light(old fashion house light around 75watt) and a 5.0 UVB bulb set on the same timer. Adjust the heat light at a distance above the basking dock to heat the dock to 88F. I always liked to feed my small turtles ReptoMin with very small pieces (1/8" square w/the hard back removed) of cuttlebone. Good luck with your little guy. http://www.austinstu..._ear_slider.htm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Help, Food, shleter, tank, everything

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users