• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dbmcknghtd

dbmcknghtd

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

My new puppy punctured the shell of my painted turtle its pretty bad. Tommy the turtle has movement of all four legs but the shell was
pushed inside. I called my vet but they didn't have knowledge of turtles. I put a very small amount of neosporin on the edge of the open shell
wound. I put him in a box and put a heating pad underneath the box. He is crawling in the box. I know he can dehydrate but am afraid there might be wounds under neath. I'm afraid to move him. Don't want to put him in more pain or shock. We have had this painted for fifteen years. I did get ahold of a vet that will see him in the morning but they would not give me any help on how to manage his care until than. I'm concerned about how warm is too warm and if he can dehydrate. Also he did bleed for just a few minutes and than nothing. Can anyone give me advise.

#2 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,386 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:53 AM

The best thing to do is to keep him on clean, lightly damp towels with a towel over him to help with stress and get him to the vet ASAP. There was no need for the heating pad under the box if he was in a warm room but that is neither here nor there at this point - please get him to the vet ASAP who will examine him and advise you. I hope all goes well - keep us informed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users