• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Avocado034

Avocado034

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

I have two juvenile redfoot tortoises, approximately 4 years old each. Maybe 6 inches long. I want to build them a indoor enclosure that will last the next few years. But, I have a few requirements. I am a single female and don't want a super-cumbersome heavy, awkward, wood tortoise table. Ideally, I need something that is....

- lightweight
- can be taken apart (live in an upstairs apartment, and will move eventually, not final residence)
- removeable bottom?? (something easy to clean, so I don't have to take whole cage outside/apart to clean

I know sides have to be dark (not wire/glass) so that limits the materials, but does anyone have any ideas? Also, they have a good outdoor enclosure, and I need to limit the indoor to about 2 or 3 ft wide to about 6 feet long. I know not ideal, but they get outside, and that is MS is NOT allowed on TT requirement.

I know plans online, but super cumbersome, heavy, and I don't have room to construct. Will have to construct outside, get up flight of stairs, fit through the door, and in my smallish space avaliable for them.

Creative ideas a must!!

Thanks in advance.

#2 BoxieLuvr4

BoxieLuvr4

• Members Standard
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Camping, fishing, animal care, baking dog treats.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Plastic kiddie pools! Posted Image

This is not my picture, but I found this on the internet and am going to try it! Thought it might help! They're light weight, easy to clean, and seem to work well for a more temporary enclosure since you mentioned your in an apartment currently. Hope this is a good idea for you! :)

#3 animal kingdom2

animal kingdom2

• Members Plus
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

I have all of my turts outside, but I have seen some great setups using bookcases on their backs (using tarps etc. before the dirt to help prevent mold/mildew on the wood). Do a search on this website, as there are a number of really good threads that have a lot of step-by-step pictures and instructions for both indoor and outdoor habitats.

How long have you had the redfoots? Where have they lived in before now? If they have had an outdoor habitat, why not now?

#4 BoxieLuvr4

BoxieLuvr4

• Members Standard
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Camping, fishing, animal care, baking dog treats.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

I have all of my turts outside, but I have seen some great setups using bookcases on their backs (using tarps etc. before the dirt to help prevent mold/mildew on the wood). Do a search on this website, as there are a number of really good threads that have a lot of step-by-step pictures and instructions for both indoor and outdoor habitats.

How long have you had the redfoots? Where have they lived in before now? If they have had an outdoor habitat, why not now?

I actually have an indoor setup w/ a modified book case for my boxies...currently has just a thick plastic shower curtain under their substrate, but it has worked out so far. I'm looking into updating it though. I'm wanting some baby boxies soon so I can construct an enclosure for them!

#5 Baller77

Baller77

Turtelman77

• Members Plus
  • 695 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

I use a holiday tree storage container that you can get at walmart for my indoor enclosure. It is like a tortoise table but not as wide. It has alot of room and measures 4 ft by two feet. It is very light weight. If it is not large enough than maybe you can by two of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users