Yellow Belly missing legs and tail

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 animal kingdom2

animal kingdom2

• Members Plus
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

I apologize that I don't have any pictures, but this turtle is not mine (I have land turts/torts). A friend of mine has an ideal enclosed front yard with a huge pond, several levels. She has had 3 RES and 1 yellow belly for several years together, along with some giant koi. They have all done really well together, lots of room (maybe 5,000 gallon pond?). Recently, the yellow belly (Bubbles) has gotten injured, a couple of nips (they are all large, about 8" being the smallest - Bubbles). Last Saturday while we were there for a party, the kids came running to get me. Bubbles is missing his front right leg, left rear leg, and tail. He was swimming really well, and bleeding had already stopped, so we don't know how long he was like that. His eyes were very clear, and no other issues. I presume that Bubbles is a male, and this year another male just decided that he didn't want him near his lady.

Anyway, someone else at the party took him to care for him, since I have a tiny pond for my boxies, nothing big enough for a water turtle. We had some antibiotic spray that my friend had gotten from the vet, and used that, and I told the one who took Bubbles to dry dock him (offering shallow water frequently) until the limbs heal. I also provided the name of the vet I use, but she lives in a different town, so don't know about that. I hope she got him in for antibiotics at least.

With no active bleeding, how long do you think he was injured? I know that they can survive these kind of injuries, but is an infection the worst thing to worry about? I want to give the lady who took Bubbles home good information on how to care long-term care for him.

Thanks!

#2 animal kingdom2

animal kingdom2

• Members Plus
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Just an update: he is doing fine so far, eating well and moving around as normal. According to his caretaker, the wounds are still rough looking but no continued bleeding or signs of infection.

#3 animal kingdom2

animal kingdom2

• Members Plus
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

Been a couple of weeks, and so far, Bubbles is doing well according to her caretaker. Despite only having 2 legs and no tail, she is active in her new habitat. I do not know how she poops without her tail, so as soon as she can get pics, we can see how much of the tail is gone. But walking, and dipping in the water is no problem for Bubbles. Amazing how nature compensates!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users