Photo
- - - - -

Update pics for Bean (Eastern Box Turtle Yearling)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SnowCone

SnowCone

Boxie Pro

• Members Plus
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

I'm not sure if I ever showed pictures of Bean on this forum, but here's some pictures of when I first got him up until today, almost a year later.

He was found on Easter 2011, which was April 24th. My uncle spotted him in his backyard. This little guy got out of my uncles three-toed habitat and was in the middle of the grass, if not for my uncle spotting him when he did this little guy could have been cat/bird bait.

When I first brought him home I immediately noticed this. You can see that he has a bit of an oddly shaped shell, but he's perfectly healthy otherwise dispite the sudden slant on the rear part of his carapace. I named him Bean when my uncle gave him to me because it was Easter, and his shell shape kind of reminded me of jelly beans =)
Posted Image

Posted Image

These pictures were taken July-August of last year, when this tiny little guy finally started being more active. Up until then he was dug down most the time, which is pretty normal for hatchlings. I was so proud when I saw that he climbed all the way on top of the half log! He's gotten so strong since I first found him.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had been keeping him in a small storage bin at the time (not the best conditions but it's all I had on short notice) But now, since he became more active, I was able to move him to a new tank. This is just a 20gal, but it's currently what he is in and he seems very happy with it anyway
Posted Image

Posted Image

This picture of him here was a month ago, in late February. He grew a lot over winter.

Posted Image

Finally, I bring you to today. He still has the strange slant in his shell but otherwise he is growing perfectly. It's no where near as defined as it was a year ago; when I found him the top of his shell actually was concave at one point and very weak. Now, it's flat and elastic/strong.

Posted Image

Posted Image

He's a big boy now, really acting like a yearling. He eats pretty much all of the food I give him now so I have to make sure I don't overfeed. He's always moving around alot, loves to hunt insects I place in his habitat, and he recognizes me as the source of his food and water. This is the first pure three toed I've ever raised and I really love him =)

#2 turtlemann2

turtlemann2

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:My Wife My Friends My Pets, Hunting Fishing Camping Hiking & Football

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

Very neat :) you should post the url from this page to the thread, where you said go to photography :) i think it is laid out perfectly for a littl ehatchling like that, i do wonder though how his shell will develope, ive seen two adult males with a shell like this i bet he does turn out to be a he :)

#3 SnowCone

SnowCone

Boxie Pro

• Members Plus
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

Very neat :) you should post the url from this page to the thread, where you said go to photography :) i think it is laid out perfectly for a littl ehatchling like that, i do wonder though how his shell will develope, ive seen two adult males with a shell like this i bet he does turn out to be a he :)

Interesting that you say you've seen adult males with a shape like this before. I do hope he grows up to be male since his name sounds better for a boy =) He's probably the healthiest acting turtle I've raised so far so I'm sure the shell isn't a big deal at all, after all he was pretty much born with it.

#4 samsmom

samsmom

Turtle Gardener

• Members Plus
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, bicycling
    Box turtles

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

He is so cute. Very nice documentation of his growth.

#5 turtlemann2

turtlemann2

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:My Wife My Friends My Pets, Hunting Fishing Camping Hiking & Football

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Interesting that you say you've seen adult males with a shape like this before. I do hope he grows up to be male since his name sounds better for a boy =) He's probably the healthiest acting turtle I've raised so far so I'm sure the shell isn't a big deal at all, after all he was pretty much born with it.

who knows at this age he may very well grow out of it (maybe) but yes ive seen and actually rehabbed two males like this, although i persoanally keep two differant males with rather domed shells. im sure it wont affect him to mcuh :) but if it turns out to be a female, then complications due to the possibility of a large clutch may arise with the lack of space. i hope he is a boy :) an i must admit you take such nice photos :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users