• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Slitz-BunBun-

Slitz-BunBun-

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

I have a Mississippi DBT that I have gotten almost a year ago.

I keep her in a 20 Gallon Tank and I've noticed that her shell (when out of the water) looks extremely dry and almost flakey; and the Edge around her shell is upturned.
I think it would be helpful to also mention that I do feed her ReptoMin Twice a day.
She seems to be fat, and I would also like to know what I SHOULD be doing to get my turtle healthier.
I'm pretty sure her health condition (is she has any) is based on my care for her.
Any Help?

Her Pictures:

Posted Image

Frankies Carapace

Posted Image

Her Plastron

#2 Sampras&DrCornwallis

Sampras&DrCornwallis

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Games, films, Star Trek, my two turtles (whose full names are Sampras Lucius Geldoff Meehan IV and Dr Cornwallis Meehan) and Total War. Huzah!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

She's a pretty turtle. Hopefully I can be of some help.

You might wanna try getting a bigger tank, or filling the tank you have to the brim and investing in a turtle topper (just goggle, you'll see what I mean). You more or less wanna give the little tike as much room as you can to swim about in.

Also, that's a pretty big turtle, I really don't think you should be feeding her as much as you are. I know with Sliders you should feed them every second day when they become adults.

I really don't see anything wrong with the shell. It's looks very even and pretty. The flakeyness you're describing could simply be some early signs of scute shedding. I also don't think theres any big deal with up-turning shells either, it's just the way she is.

I really hope this cleared some things up for you. But DO NOT take my word for it alone, research, research and don't forget... research! I learn about my turtles every day and one thing I have come ask myself when I think there may be a problem is this...

Are they active (swimming, basking)?
Do they re-act to your presence?
Do they sleep soundly?
Are they greed as hell?!

If your answer to all those questions is yes... then you turtles should be doing ok!

#3 AnAwkwrdTurtle

AnAwkwrdTurtle

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

I see no signs of rot. The carapace looks exactly like my False Map's carapace who is in the process of shedding. She is probably just growing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users