A little help from my (turtle) friends?

found baby turtle

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 texsara

texsara

• Members Standard
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:1 Box Turtle baby,2 Red-eared sliders,4 Tortoises,3 Cats,1 Dog(Shih Tzu),5 Parakeets

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

He may be a snapper because we have a lot around here,but I've only seen adults before...but not sure...he was crossing a busy highway almost ran over,so we picked him up. He has yellow stripes along his neck.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 justatwinturbo

justatwinturbo

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 448 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

He's a mississippi mud turtle

#3 texsara

texsara

• Members Standard
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:1 Box Turtle baby,2 Red-eared sliders,4 Tortoises,3 Cats,1 Dog(Shih Tzu),5 Parakeets

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Cool! Thanks so much for the I.D. :)

#4 texsara

texsara

• Members Standard
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Actually after looking around at pictures I'm thinking he looks like a 3-Striped Mud Turtle. They have the for sale at Turtle Shack & the pic looks exactly like mine. ;) http://turtleshack.c...p_image&pID=390

#5 clemmysnut

clemmysnut

• Members Plus
  • 1,889 posts
  • Interests:VP of the mid-Atlantic Turtle and Tortoise Society (MATTS)
    Please check us out and join MATTS today!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

Definitely not a 3-stripe and please don't buy anything from turtleshack...they are the worse.

#6 justatwinturbo

justatwinturbo

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 448 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

Definitely not a 3-stripe and please don't buy anything from turtleshack...they are the worse.

Agreed with everything said

#7 texsara

texsara

• Members Standard
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

Well,he sure looks the same..same shell & the yellow stripes. I am just learning because most
of my experiences with turtles are with boxies or tortoises..this RES is my first water turtle. Clemmysnut,Why do you say Turtle Shack is bad? Have a bad buying experience with them?

#8 justatwinturbo

justatwinturbo

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 448 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Their heads are pretty similar, but based on where the turtle was found, and the absence of the 3 stripes on the carapace, is what makes it a mississippi mud. Turtleshack takes horrid care of their animals, they don't use proper shipping methods, and their prices are often more expensive than others. Often times, the animals will arrive sick, injured, or dead.

#9 clemmysnut

clemmysnut

• Members Plus
  • 1,889 posts
  • Interests:VP of the mid-Atlantic Turtle and Tortoise Society (MATTS)
    Please check us out and join MATTS today!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Well,he sure looks the same..same shell & the yellow stripes. I am just learning because most
of my experiences with turtles are with boxies or tortoises..this RES is my first water turtle. Clemmysnut,Why do you say Turtle Shack is bad? Have a bad buying experience with them?

No, I've never bought from them. Ronnie (Justatwinturbo) stated the reasons. Also, they'll send you the wrong size or species. This site has a few bad reviews about them, but there are pages and pages of horror stories about them on Turtleforum.com. It got so bad that they changed their name.

#10 justatwinturbo

justatwinturbo

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 448 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

As well as sending a different species than you ordered. Just an all around bad place

#11 texsara

texsara

• Members Standard
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Ok thanks so much for all the info! Very helpful to me! He is a really cute turtle so I'm trying to keep him.
I got him all fixed up in a tank with lighting,heater,filter & all. I haven't seen him eat yet, but once he is comfortable
7 settled he probably will. I need to get some live food for him probably. Any suggestions on that?
He's pretty small so I have him in a ten gallon I had handy,but in a month or so when the
weather gets warm enough,I will be moving him into a 55 gallon with
my RES. That is,if they will get along ok. If not,I'll make other plans for him. :)

#12 turtle chaser

turtle chaser

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:turtles,fossils,fishing,kayaking,ultimate frisbee,lacrosse,soccer,football, herpipetoligist

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

a good idea for food is gut loaded crickets, worms, slugs and i would give them some cuttlebone for calcium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users