• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Greta&Willum

Greta&Willum

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

On Easter Sunday we found this little turtle in Birmingham, Alabama.

Can anyone identiy what kind of turtle he is?

He seems to like the water but I am unsure if that is ok for him.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Baller77

Baller77

Turtelman77

• Members Plus
  • 687 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Could be a species of box turtle

#3 clemmysnut

clemmysnut

• Members Plus
  • 1,890 posts
  • Interests:VP of the mid-Atlantic Turtle and Tortoise Society (MATTS)
    Please check us out and join MATTS today!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

Definitely a box turtle. Could be an eastern, gulf coast, or 3-toed. If you keep him, read up on the care of them. There is a ton of info out there. They are land turtles, but need a shallow pan of water to drink from. Baby boxies like to hide from predators so have a log, plants, and substrate such as leaves, dirt, and mulch (anything but pine bark mulch) in which to hide.

#4 samsmom

samsmom

Turtle Gardener

• Members Plus
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, bicycling
    Box turtles

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

A very young box turtle and super cute!

#5 jg44

jg44

• Members Standard
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Box turtle, Eastern or Gulf Coast

Needs a moist / wet substrate with plenty of cover.

You can get a very good book by Tess Cook on care, for about $10.00

#6 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,388 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:59 AM

It's an Eastern Box turtle - they are regulated/protected in Alabama (my daughter used to live in Montgomery and she had to deal with an injured box turtle hit by a neighbor's lawn mower and checked all the laws, etc.). I believe you need a permit to keep him in AL. If you found this little one in the woods around your home, the best thing to do is to return it where you found it. If you found it in a bad area and there is no habitat around (i.e., woods, fields, etc.), call your county wildlife rehabber (you can obtain the name and phone number from your County Information Line or via the Dept. of Natural Resources, Fish & Wildlife Division) and they will advise you. If you plan to keep it, check your state laws to be on the safe side and search this forum and other internet sites for Eastern Box Turtle hatchling care. There is a lot of information on this forum if you do a search.

I rescued a beautiful eastern box just south of Anniston in June 2010 when I was down there for a visit off the road early evening - it was a female obviously looking for a place to lay her eggs. She was placed safely on the other side of the road in the direction she was heading. Further down in your state you have Three-Toed boxies and also Gulf Coast Box Turtles....The plastron markings and other coloration/details on your hatchling mark it as an eastern.

#7 trinitt

trinitt

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

I live in Hoover off rocky ridge road, very close to you. I had an Eastern box hatchling just like yours several years ago that I had rescued and had a friend adopt him when I moved. I stumbled across this post while searching for another to adopt, if you are looking for a good caretaker I'd love to take him! Feel free to call or text 2O5-91O-3341

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: turtle identification, alabama, birmingham, baby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users