poop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nkisu82

nkisu82

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:I have 1 western painted turtle named Dug...because my boyfriend dug up his nest at a job site before he was hatched. Dug has been going strong since August 31, 2011.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

I did a major cleaning on Dug's tank yesterday. Scrub all the sides scrubed out the tubes...cleaned the substrate thoroughly did a half water change the whole shebang...after everything was done I watch my 6 month old western painted turtle eat his own poop. He was in the water and he pooped and then he chased it down and ate it. I've never witnesses him doing this before. Is this normal behavior or is this a sign of something...it grossed me out a little and I just want to make sure I don't need to be concerned.

#2 Pi's_Human

Pi's_Human

Should vegetarians eat animal crackers?

• Members Plus
  • 773 posts
  • Interests:Jazzy, my seven year old RES, and always working to improve her quality of living.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

Turtles don't have the best digestive system, so it's not uncommon for them to eat their own waste product. The best reference I have ever seen is that they basically get the nutrition two times by doing what they do. This is nothing to worry about, my seven year old slider does it all the time.

#3 nkisu82

nkisu82

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:I have 1 western painted turtle named Dug...because my boyfriend dug up his nest at a job site before he was hatched. Dug has been going strong since August 31, 2011.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

Thanks, that's a relief. I'm new to the turtle thing and am trying really hard to do right by Dug. But I constantly worry that i'm doing something wrong...I would never survive having children...lol

#4 elija.wattson

elija.wattson

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:21 AM

To be perfectly honest with you, I really do not know. I can tell you that I would expect your dog to possibly get sick. Certainly a human being would become very sick and possibly even die from eating dog (and/or human) feces.
I remind you that I am a medical doctor. I am not a veterinarian. Perhaps you would be better off asking your question to a veterinarian.

#5 JsX

JsX

JsX

• Members Plus
  • 953 posts
  • Interests:filtration theory

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

I noticed my turtles would do this. So, I installed a power head. It was actually comical watching one turtle chase another turtle's poo and unable to catch it because it was moving too fast and picked up by the filter intake. The turtle would stop at the filter intake and stare at it for a few seconds and then go look for more food.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users