• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cnick975

cnick975

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Currently I have a 20 gallon long tank with my 2 ybs in it, yes I know I need a bigger tank lol in time I will get it. But for now I need an answer for not having to clean my darn tank every week. I mean these turtles are messy!! i'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to a canister filter or any type of filter that is going to keep my water clear for longer than a week and last me a long time. Thanks guys!

#2 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,470 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

Hi,
Welcome to TT, glad you came aboard.

A canister filter like a Rena XP3 or Fluval 406 would be excellent filters to suit you needs. I'm parcal to the Rena XP3. I'm using three to filter my 65 lb snapper. If you do buy a XP3, they have three media baskets. Use the four black sponges that come with the filter in the bottom basket, a box(1-liter) of biomax, a bio-media that looks like white little cylinders. They don't come with the filter. Put them in the middle basket and fill the top basket with four pads of filter floss and you should be all set. Good luck and if you have some questions just ask. Be glad to help.

#3 minizoo

minizoo

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

I agree with Claws. I took Claws advice and shelled out the money for a XP3. I have a 75 gallon tank and only have to clean the filters every three months. My tank stays clear and does not have a smell to it. Good luck with what ever type of filter you choose.

#4 cnick975

cnick975

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

I actually went the cheaper route and got the Cascade 1000 Canister FIlter, I got it for 80bucks and its up to 100 gallons so you can't beat that. I read good reviews about it in my research so lets hope it serves me well. It just came in the mail today so I will be setting it up tonight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users